Automate not doing updates automatically.

I have the automate feature turned on for many sites. My sites are not getting updated. All of them on the same server, they are hosted with Siteground. Please help.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Zac,

Hope you're doing well.

I've forwarded your issue to our devs to check your site and see if they could shed some light on this.

In the meantime, could you try commenting out below line of code from your wp-config.php on one of the installations and check if Automate will work after that:
    define( 'WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE', false );
    To comment out the code simply change it to this:
    //define( 'WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE', false );

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Zac,

Can you tell me if there was any change since the code was commented out?
    Our developers are still trying to replicate this on multiple installations but no luck so far, but it might be worth saving your automate settings once again to see if that will get it to fire up again.
    Can you try doing that from your HUB and see if that helps in your case?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Zac,

Hmm, that's strange, your site is still showing that there's no Automate active on that site and it didn't catch any logs.
    But as I understand, you are saying that Automate actually started but it didn't update everything, is that correct?

Could you provide us with your WPMU DEV login details so we can check your Hub and compare it with the information from our logs?

Note: Don't leave your login details in this ticket.
    Instead, you can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and the template below:

Subject: "Attn: Predrag Dubajic"
    - Site login URL
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - WPMU DEV username
    - WPMU DEV password
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls/info

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Zac,

I'm afraid that I never got an email from you about this, I had a look at your account now and I can't find any messages submitted via contact form regarding this.

If you continue having the issue on your new host you can use the same steps I mentioned above to send in the details so we can check it out for you.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Zac
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Predrag,

Can you look on my hub and see the automate error for SheilaApplegate.com. That site is not working atm. That last time I posted it was not updating. I changed Automate to "on" again minue a few plugins. It appears to have turned its self off.

Also, I cannot modify the wp-config.php on my host. Im not sure what else we can try.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Zac,

It seems that both of the sites are having issues with the backups, and when the backups fail 6 times Automate will turn off.

On SheilaApplegate it seems that the issue is with backup finishing up but when I run it manually on your site it had no issues.
    It could be that Automate is running during the high load of our site and that reduced available resources so backup was unable to finish.
    Try setting Automate time for this site to be when the site load is low and see if it works fine after that.

ConsciouslyAwesome also has issues with backups but in this case they are not starting at all.
    It seems that there are some connections issues between the site and our servers, so first try disabling and re-enabling Snapshot plugin, and after that go to Snapshot > Settings and reset your Snapshot key for that site.
    Let us know if the connection is working after that and if Automate is now able to complete the process.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Zac

For SheilaApplegate.com I turned off the backup that runs from from automate. I have backups running from the host. The updates are scheduled to run at 4am and have been. I would not suspect this to be high load times.

For ConsciouslyAwesome.com I have disabled snapshots pro. I then set the automated upadates to run at 12pm. That will run an hour from now and we can find out is this made a difference.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Zac,

I see that there are no backup errors for SheilaApplegate.com anymore and the process seems to be started fine, can you check and tell me if it finished properly now?

And for ConsciouslyAwesome.com I can see that the backup in Snapshot is disabled but it's still active for Automate, if you wish to give it a try without the backup then you will need to disable it from there as well.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Zac

Thanks for following up.

That is very strange about Consciuoslyawesome.com. I turned off the backups in the hub. I went in again and turned it off today.

As far as SheilaApplegate.com goes it does appear that some of the updates are done. There are still 9 updates that need to be run. Will Automate only run 1 set of updates per activation? Or will it run updates until they are completed?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Zac

I just checked Automate logs for both sites:

1. Consciouslyawesome.com

It seem that the site is now fully up to date and all the expected updates were successfully applied by Automate so it looks - from our end - that it's running fine now. The last Automate run was on March 4th and it was successful.

2. SheilaApplegate.com

This one is also now reported as up to date. Two last Automate runs on March 4th and 5th were just checks. Before that there were two runs where plugins seems successfully updated except one, that is Monarch. In both cases it was detected as needing update but then reported back as in "in most recent version" and in the second run updates for that plugin were disabled (due to consecutive errors).

I'm not sure about this specific plugin but if I'm not mistaken it's a premium plugin and in case of premium plugins sometimes such update cannot be performed by Automate due to reasons such as for example:

- plugin doesn't "hook up" to core WP updater at all or does that in some non-standard way (e.g. "too late")
    - plugin requires licence key to be updated but there's no licence key given
    - plugin is using its all, custom updater

I'm not that familiar with this particular plugin but it seems to be one of those cases. If other plugins are getting updated now (as the log suggests) that should now be fine.

As for Automate runs: no it's not doing "one update per pass" but it might need more than one go sometimes. This is mostly related to the amount of plugins that need update and the way site responds during update. If it didn't manage to update all in one go, it will try again until it either it successfully updates all or until it disables some update due to issues with it.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Zac

Hey Adam,

Monarch is a social sharing plug-in from Elegant Themes. They make Divi. This plug-in is premium.

I noticed that some sites where not updating the core wordpress files. I swear I turned on this feature for all of my sites. I found them to be turned off.

I'll monitor this for the next few days and see how it goes.

Its good to know that updates are going to work with out the back up plugin (Snapshot Pro) working..... =/.... I'll have to get these backed up on the host.

• Zac

Hey Adam,

It Sheilaapplegate.com and ConsciouslyAwesome.com appear to be updating as configured.

IntuitiveEdgeDesign.com and MyDnaActivation.com are not. MyDnaactivation is setup in the hub properly but there are 18 updates waiting to be done on the site.

Please have a look into this.

Thanks!

• Zac

Okay Adam,

MyDnaActication.com is still sitting at needing 19 updates including the wordpress cord updates.

I have the update setting in automate set to default. Which it should be updating every 3 hours is I am correct.

IntuitiveEdgeDesign is needing 6 updates including the core wordpress updates.

Let me know.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Zac,

I have updated your Automate settings for MyDnaActication as it looked like Automate wasn't running properly there but it does show proper scheduled time now so change it later today and see if the Automate has run there.

As for IntuitiveEdgeDesign, it seems that the site is registered with your account with both www and without it which is affecting status of the available updates.
    Can you grant access to this site so we can have a closer look at it?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Zac,

I just checked IntuitiveEdgeDesign and from what I see Automate has completed properly there and all the plugins that are selected for updating are shown as updated.
    I did "restart" the Automate for that site yesterday so it seems that did the trick.

Logs for MyDnaActication are also showing as successful, so it seems that it worked fine there as well.
    Can you check and let us know if you can confirm it worked fine?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Zac,

All of the plugins that are showing in available updates are excluded from Automate if you go to check Automate configuration.
    After the plugin is failing update multiple times during Automate process it will be excluded from the future processes.
    These are all premium plugins and they are probably using their custom update process which is preventing Automate from doing its job, so in these cases I'm afraid that those products need to updated manually.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Zac

Okay, last time I gave you an update I toggled on all the updates including WP core.

As you said there were some premium plug-ins blocking those updates.

Today, the WP core update got turned off again along with the rest.

What do I do next?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Zac,

We are talking about IntuitiveEdgeDesign site, is that correct?

If you go to Automate tab in your Hub and check Activity Log you will see that the core update has been disabled because core updates seem to be disabled from your wp-config.php with the define added in there:
    define( 'WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE', false );

This define will overrule Automate settings and it won't be able to update the WP for you.

Please check your wp-config.php file (located in root WP folder) for that site and if the above-mentioned define is in there, remove it in order to allow Automate to update your WP core.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Zac,

If you wanted to skip one of the major updates, for example 5.0, if you thought your site wasn't ready, or something else, we would have suggested using that line.
    This however completely disables core updates and will stop Automate from doing its job.
    Let us know how it goes after the change.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.