Automated digest sent by newsletter?

Hello,

We are looking at developing a site with a newsletter that automatically and periodically serves content to the subscribers.

Typical scenario: As a subscriber, I go to my profile page, choose a series of topics (some categories/taxonomy terms) and a frequency. As a result, a digest of the corresponding articles is sent to me at the frequency I chose.

Does the e-newsletter have approaching features, or at least possibilities of extension? If not, would you be interested in developing such a feature?

Best regards,

• PC

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

Unfortunately such a feature is not available currently. It does not support automatic/scheduled emails made by post content automatically.

However, I have moved this to our "Features and Feedback" area and have sent t note to our lead developer for his views on the same. Lets see if he has got any plans to add a feature like that in near future.

Cheers, PC

• PC

Hey @crystalasia

Thanks for posting back and for your willingness to contribute to the plugin.

Unfortunately I am not one of the best guys when it comes to coding and expanding a plugin :-\ as I am not a developer :slight_smile:

I have however sent a note to our lead developer @Maniu and as soon as be is back online, he should be able to guide us in the right direction :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• crystalasia

Hi all,

We are looking for something that could rely on a cronjob (or WP pseudo-cron).

The idea is to have:
    - a set of exposed categories in the e-newsletter plugin options ; exposing these categories would make them appear on the user profile for subscription to categories of content.
    - a metabox field "frequency" in the newsletter post type (not sure, maybe an option in user profile like above)
    - a shortcode, something like [newsletter_category_subscribed_content] to create the digest

The admins maybe would create several newsletters (one per frequency)? I am not sure about that, maybe this can be a field like the categories, directly attached to the user / plugin options.

Then algorithm would be something like:
    * On cron start, browse the newsletters subscriptions and find the entries that are matching the frequency depending on the current time
    * For each subscriptions, execute the short code to build the email with the appropriate digest content:
    - get the subscribed user entry from subscription entry
    - get the subscribed categories from the user entry
    - get the posts from these categories that have been published between now and
    newsletter frequency
    * Send the emails

2 questions:
    - do you think this algorithm is viable?
    - if yes, how much time and money would you need to develop it?

Thanks,

• Maniu

Hey

For next bigger version i am planning to add "trigger system" so you can set up what triggers which enewsletter. With this available to you, future customizations like yours would be much simpler but for now, adding feature like this will need you to heavy change to the code.

I suggest you to wait for new version and then you will be able to upgrade it so it does what you need much easier.

Thanks
    Maniu

• Maniu

Hey @crystalasia

I hope it will be done till then but i can't promise anything.

Your scenario is bit more advanced - trigger system would allow setting what is triggering which email. For example: on "user registration" send "newsletters x"

What you are requesting is interface for user to manage "advanced triggers" - this is not currently planned but i believe that with new update it will be easier to build.

Thanks,
    Maniu

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.