Automatic Background Updates For Plugins Even Though Disabled

I'm working on a client's wordpress site, and there's an issue with the plugins automatically updating in the background. I rollback 3 plugins, and later find them updated again.

I know that the 3.7 auto updater does not have plugin updates enabled by default, so this doesn't seem possible. To be safe I manually disabled plugin updates with this code in the wp-config file:

add_filter( 'auto_update_plugin', '__return_false' );

However they still auto update! I then installed a plugin to manage auto updates, but that didn't stop it either.

Is this a problem others are having, or am I missing something major in my theme? I did a search for any code enabling this, but found none.

Thanks!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @markcy

I hope you are well today and thanks for your question.

On that filter did you add that to your wp-config.php? Filters should be used in your functions.php of your theme or plugin for example, the wp-config.php will only take a define :slight_smile:

Try this

define( 'AUTOMATIC_UPDATER_DISABLED', true );

Please that above the line reading that's all stop editing happy blogging :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• markcy
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thank you. I didn't know that filters can only be added to the functions file. I did in fact have it added to the wp-config. I have changed that now.

However, I'm still unsure how the plugins were auto background updating even before I placed the filter in wp-config. First, that feature is not enabled by default, and second I'm also using a plugin to manage auto background updates and made sure to uncheck plugin updates. Yet they still updated.

Thanks again.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @markcy

I hope your well today, no problem :slight_smile:

I think this is the key piece of info

I'm also using a plugin to manage auto background updates and made sure to uncheck plugin updates. Yet they still updated.

Sounds like possibly the plugin your using isn't turning off the auto updates correctly for the plugins you've selected? Could you let me know which plugin it is please :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• markcy
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Even before I installed this plugin I noticed it still auto updated. The plugin is called Advanced Automatic Updates.

At this point I've simply edited version numbers of the plugins I don't want updated.

Unless wordpress 3.7.1 has a bug that's causing plugins to auto update in the background even if you don't have that enabled, I don't know what would cause this.

The plugins I don't want updated are NextGen Gallery and User Access Manager.

Thanks for your help.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.