Automatic Domain Mapping

Is there a way for the domain mapping to be automatic for my customer? Meaning, they set up their site using the ProSites plugin and then they go somewhere and buy a domain name, choose domain mapping and enter the domain name and then go to where they bought the domain name and tell it to point to my IP address and that is all....?? I am finding that the only way I can get it to work is by adding the domain name to my hosting account. I am looking for a way for this to work without me having to do anything with it, is that possible?

• Mason

Hiya susanshop,

First off, welcome to WPMU DEV :slight_smile: Don't think we've met before.

This is a great question and to accomplish something like this you'd need to be able to automate some server-level settings to make something like this work. This means you'd need to be at least on a VPS or possibly a dedicated server. Shared hosting would not provide you with the necessary access.

The process for doing it would then depend greatly on the server setup. It's not something I've looked into in great detail and would most likely require a server admin to build for you.

Hope that helps. Thanks!

• minglemooch

Hi @susanshrop

I was also struggling with that option. Also must first add the domain to my hosting account then it would redirect to the entered domain.

But recently I done a Test. And hers my results:

Firstly I have a Shared hosting But with a dedicated ip, Also have my own NameServers for my hosting.

Then I bought a domain name from a completely different registrar and in the DNS Management for the domain domain I changed all the ip address's to my dedicated ip address. REMEMBER to add the name servers as well, like they do at wordpress.com

It didn't work right away cause it needs to propagate the settings to take affect.

So there you have it, I don't have that domain in my hosting account account but when entered in the Domain Mapping it resolves around that domain.

Have a Great Day ;->

• susanshrop

Thanks for the info minglemooch!

So you have hosting with one company and then your purchased your domain with another.

With the hosting company you purchased a dedicated IP and how do you get your own name servers?

And once you set up the domain with the dedicated IP and name servers, the domain mapping worked without you having to manually add the domain names to your hosting account?

Also, if you don't me asking, which company did you use for hosting and for your domain name? I am finding some of them allow things that others don't.

• minglemooch

So you have hosting with one company and then your purchased your domain with another.

Yes

With the hosting company you purchased a dedicated IP and how do you get your own name servers?

The hosting company I am at also provides you to buy your own Name servers witch is actually very cool.

And once you set up the domain with the dedicated IP and name servers, the domain mapping worked without you having to manually add the domain names to your hosting account?

Yip, that's right, but you need it to give some time to propagate for it in order to work.

Also, if you don't me asking, which company did you use for hosting and for your domain name? I am finding some of them allow things that others don't.

For the Hosting I use TMD Hosting (http://www.tmdhosting.com/) and for the domain names I use Afrihost (http://www.afrihost.com/)

• susanshrop

YOU are AWESOME!
    I will do that.... I wonder if it would work with domain names through GoDaddy? I am pretty sure that it would. I just wondered since I have TONS there already that I would want to map. If not, I would definitely look at transferring them. I would also need to tell my clients who to use if it didn't work.

Do you think its the Dedicated IP and Nameservers or do you think its that they are at different companies?

• minglemooch

Hi @susanshrop

I think all that matters is that you have the right configuration set up and of course you need obviously the Dedicated Ip (only if you are on a Shared Hosting) and that Name server.

I have added a screenshot just to show you how I configured one of the DNS settings in one of the domains that I bought from another domain registrar different and not added from my own Hosting account.

Enjoy Your Day

Thanks
    MingleMooch

Note!: I do not grantee the same success when configured the same way as I did. This should only be seen as a "starting point" cause all Hosting companies are not exactly the same, each one do things differently .

• susanshrop

Hi MingleMooch

Question.... The domain mapping worked with Godaddy with a dedicated IP address and domains in my GoDaddy account (not added to hosting but just in my account). I found that GoDaddy limits the MySQL databases to 1GB so I looked into and purchased hosting with the company you use and purchased a dedicated IP.

I set everything up and when I go to Godaddy and my domain and add the dedicated IP and the nameservers to the account it doesn't work? Do you think I need the dedicated name servers as well? I'm not sure of any other changes I need to make to the records.

When I did it through GoDaddy I just needed the IP and nameservers for it to work. I'm not sure what else to change.

Thanks!

• minglemooch

HI @susanshrop

Lets say that when you had your GoDaddy hosting you mapped the domains (without being added to hosting account) using a dedicated ip and Name Servers and all that worked fine, correct?

Now you want to move your whole Hosting account to TMD, right?

Lets say for instance that is correct, you need again to buy a dedicated ip (if on a shared hosting) and Name Server so that could install it on your TMD hosting account. (Remember it takes a little time for TMD to install the Name Server to your account, think I waited 3-4 days)

Now the GoDaddy account. If you still have domain names their that you bought and want them to stay in their, that will be ok.

All that you need to do is just go into each domain name registered and edit their DNS to resolve around your new Dedicated ip and Name Server.

Note! It wont work from the start as it needs to propagate. Remember that domains are world wide and cannot be quickly changed like a html or php file.

Hope this will assist you, if any other troubles let me know.

Thanks
    MingleMooch