automatic tax collection in marketpress

Hi,
Does marketpress offer the ability to auto calculate sales tax based on locaiton?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi cornelius_butler

I hope you're having a nice day!

The MarketPress can have a tax rate set on "Store Settings -> General" page but that's a "general" rate and it's not related to the location. You can also set a tax rate individually for a product when editing the product. There's no automatic calculation based on a location, I'm afraid.

I do believe that this would make a very handy feature, though. I have moved this ticket to our "Features & Feedback" forum so other Members of our Community could give it a vote and if there's more support for it, our developers might consider implementing it in future.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Jacob
    • Knows Enough to Break Things

+1 on adding automatic tax calculation integrations. TaxJar, for example, has an API to integrate for collecting tax.

This should also be rolled out to the Membership plugin, since offering digital content on a subscription basis is taxed—at least in my state. My streaming Netflix service, for example (a membership-based content site) assesses tax on their membership fees.

• Paula Yandell
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

This has been a feature I'd really love to have, especially since I love MarketPress, and WooCommerce has just married themselves with wordpress.com. There's been a few members asking about this too since 2013: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/marketpress-and-destination-based-sales-tax and https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/need-marketpress-api-documentation.

We handle a couple hundred non-ecommerce sites with WPMUDEV as is, and it's a major fear of potential clients that they'll receive a lawsuit for not knowing they met a US state's economic tax threshold. It's pretty big in preventing people from leaving Shopify and similar services.

I'd do the API integrations myself but don't have the time--this seems like something that every ecommerce site needs nowadays. Any help? Last I heard someone figured out the Taxjar integration but never shared.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.