automatic updates not working

It happens with all my sites. I have to do updates manually. What is the benefit of having WPMUDEV? I was with technical support and he answered with this emage (https://static.livechatinc.com/8801096/PBVGGCFYZZ/5e810b93702fc993bd504d283675fa7a/hub-automate-core.png) and closed the chat. Now the wait id over 12 minutes. I need to know why all my sites are not doing auto-updates and please explain well becuase those options from his image I don't see.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello victor

I apologize for the situation with chat. I can assure you that no agent would close the chat on purpose, responding with just an image and no further explanation. If the chat was closed that way, it must have been an unexpected connection issue either on your end, on agent's end or on a chat platform (we're using a 3rd-party solution for the chats). Once again, I'm sorry for that.

As for the issue. The image that was shared with you comes from The Hub. On this page here

https://premium.wpmudev.org/hub/my-websites/

you will see a list of all your sites that are connected with your WPMU DEV account. Once you click on any of these sites, it will "expand" and you'll be able to switch to "Automate" tab where that image comes from.

However, I checked logs for the site that you assigned to this ticket and it seems that you do actually have automatic updates enabled in The Hub but disabled on your site. There's an message in the logs: "Update WordPress core error: autoupdates_disabled - Automatic core updates are disabled via define or filter.".

This means that automatic updates were disabled on that site in WordPress configuration. Automate (our updated service) respects that and if it finds out about it, it doesn't perform an update.

That being said, please check the "wp-config.php" file of your sites (those that are not updated) if this line is there:

define( 'WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE', false );

If yes, remove it and it would "unlock" updates.

If there's no such line that would mean that updates were disabled via the filter and that might be a bit more difficult to find. The lines to look for would be:

add_filter( 'auto_update_plugin', '__return_false' );
    add_filter( 'auto_update_theme', '__return_false' );

Most likely, they'd be inside a "functions.php" file of a current theme of each site but they might alternatively be added as an MU plugin instead. If they are in either of these locations, they should be removed as well.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.