Automatic Upgrade to Marketpress lost my custom theme file?

Hi All.

I just want to confirm if anyone else had this occur.

I have added a theme (lets call it themename.css) to the MarketPress themes folder. Upon upgrading to the latest version the whole site lost the custom css.

I looked through the marketpress plugin folder and there was no longer a file called themename.css in the themes subfolder. I am assuming the upgrade deleted and recreated the folder?

Is there a way for the custom theme to be pulled from the actual WordPress theme instead of the plugin folder?

Please if none of this makes sense, let me know. I am happy to try to explain further.

Cheers all

• Timothy Bowers

Hey HypeIT, It makes perfect sense. :slight_smile:

The way WordPress and our Update plugin work is this:

Downloading update from .......URL.....

Unpacking the update…
    Installing the latest version…
    Deactivating the plugin…
    Removing the old version of the plugin…
    Plugin updated successfully.
    Reactivating the plugin…

That might be familiar to you as its text from the auto updater. Its this line "Removing the old version of the plugin…"

The best way to get around this is to manually update MarketPress. That way you can delete all the other files but leave the CSS directory there.

You could include those CSS changes in your themes CSS if you wish. Again though if its a theme which gets updated then those changes could be overwritten, so wherever possible use a child theme to retain the extras and changes. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps.

• HypeIT

Hey Timothy,

I think what I am getting at, is that if there is an ability in the plugin Presentation Tab and accompanying instructions on how to add a custom.css file, then it should be preserved in the upgrade process, or it should revert to searching perhaps a themes/currenttheme/marketpress/theme folder for that custom .css file.

Poor form from me perhaps, but I assume if there is documented capability for custom css that is included outside of the customising core files process, it should be preserved upon upgrade. Perhaps it can function similarly to the Advanced theming that is also available.

I tried including the CSS into my current wordpress theme, but the marketpress css must load afterwards, so the overrides don't work, I would happily add it to the theme again if I am doing something wrong (no expert) in how I included it in the theme the first time. I just have a custom css that is the last loading file, that is where I added it.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

I fully understand and appreciate what you are saying. The update process is handled just like WordPress one.... In fact I'm not 100% sure but I suspect its an extension of the WP function.

I'm just thinking of ways to handle this.... You got any more suggestions?

Perhas......

You check an option in the MP admin area and it then looks for:

themes/your-theme/css/marketpress.php

Or maybe it checkes is file exists here:

/wp-content/marketpress-css/

and then loads it if it does?

Any more ideas? I could pass the feedback along, I know on every update with my own sites I also update the CSS direct in the plugin.

I tried including the CSS into my current wordpress theme, but the marketpress css must load afterwards, so the overrides don't work, I would happily add it to the theme again if I am doing something wrong (no expert) in how I included it in the theme the first time. I just have a custom css that is the last loading file, that is where I added it.

What happens if you use !important, does that override the MarketPress css?

so for example (not mp css)

.random {
    color: #000 !important;
    }

Does that alter it for you?

Take care

• HypeIT

Hey Timothy,

I am starting to think that I should just do the advanced theme option. That option does look for a folder outside of the plugin folder and within the theme itself. So maybe I can get an exact copy of the .php files as they are and then just add the css and park it all in the theme folder and hope for the best. This would work from the instructions provided.
    I will attempt it and post back here.

Apart from that I will try using important and see what it does.

I figure if the advanced theme option can check a folder then the custom css could also check a folder outside of the plugin.

Let me post back about the advanced theme option and if it works I will just put up what steps I took. Maybe get some rep points :slight_smile: Thanks for the chat Timothy

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.