Automating Pro Sites Membership Levels

We are running into a problem when attempting to automate our pro sites client membership levels and upgrade option. I'll try to break this down in the most simple terms possible, as it might seem a little confusing... let me know if you have any additional questions.

Heres how our process works:
-we call potential client.
-client esigns terms on our main site.
-we collect client cc info and set it up through our merchant as a arb (automatic reoccurring billing) subscription
-we manually create site in network admin
-network sends email to client with login and password
-client logs into site and is impressed by its awesomeness.

heres our problem:
- In sites> sitename > manage pro status .. if we check "permanent status", it will not give the client the option to upgrade in their dashboard/easy blogging or anywhere else for that matter
-If we leave "permanent status" unchecked it acts as if it were a free site.

Basically we are wanting to manually process cc's and still automate the membership status to remain the same every month unless the client chooses to "upgrade" using paypal (which is already set up btw)

Any help is appreciated in making this process flow a little smoother without solely having to rely on paypal to manage the pro sites subscribtion levels is appreciated

Thanks in advance.

• aecnu

Greetings webdevusa,

Thank you for the intriguing question.

Of course I am sure that you are aware that this was/is not the way the plugin is intended to be used, which of course brings rise to this issue in the first place.

In Pro Sites do you have free level disabled? Or the Pay to Blog addition enabled?

When adding their account are you assigning them to a Pro Sites pre-configured none free level with an expiration date?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Craig Grella

This is an issue we struggled with at first. We handled it by allowing free sites to everyone who is a registered nonprofit so they could sign up themselves and we automate that process. We use WHMCS to handle billing and that allows the checking of a terms of service to sign up - so that covers your esign contract.

Then we are offering plugins and themes and other custom work under pro plans for which they would have to sign up using pro-sites - which handles the extended billing.

So for us, it was just a matter of explaining it away with text/copy during the process.

I know it doesn't solve any functional issue you might have, but the power of the plugin is it's automation process and it's worth using the copy explanation, in my opinion, to work around the other issues.

Hope that helps.

• aecnu

Greetings webdevusa,

Thank you for the great feedback and input, it is really appreciated.

I admit after reading through this ticket that a stock solution is not going to help us resolve this.

At minimum it is going to take some coding and perhaps a large amount of custom coding to get this to work in this manner.

I am certainly not adverse to calling in the lead developer with his invaluable insight of the Pro Sites plugin for his advice/advise us on this issue, but knowing that he is on vacation until around the 10th of July has me trying to come up with a solution, but I am afraid I do not have anything to help resolve this significant issue for us.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• jonnylons

I have a similar need as well and will be looking at this thread to see what solutions you all come up with.

I also think that the registration process could benefit here. You want to basically drive the potential members to your site and have them complete the signup process themselves. Automating it is more efficient from an administrative side of things and allows you to focus on other things.

I want members to sign up and their account activates them for use in our Buddypress system, then they also have the option to create a blog. The blog can be free (Basic level) or they can upgrade. They will always have the option to upgrade at a later date and that is what the Pro Sites plugin is supposed to handle.

Since I have Buddypress installed, I know it is going to be using that for my signup as opposed to the standard Wordpress install. I think that is the place you need to start in order to create a solution.

• aecnu

Greetings Everyone,

After reading over this ticket once again it appears that @craiggrella has to this moment the best working solution that does not require a bunch of custom coding and can be implemented relatively easily.

@craiggrella some rep point sent your way for this great input.

I have indeed messaged the lead developer for possible input here or to confirm my suspicions regarding custom coding to accomplish this outside of the solution craiggrella outlined above.

Thank you all for your patience and for being WPMU Dev Community Members!

Cheers, Joe

• Craig Grella

Thanks Joe.

And after reading this ticket more closely, another solution might be, if webdevusa still wants to manually setup the initial site, trigger it's creation and thus the welcome email that gets sent to the new user. once that site is setup you can modify the welcome message sent to the user to include a special link which would include the prosites upgrade page for their blog id. that can be automated using php and wordpress tags and the ending that prosites requires ?bid=###, where ### is the number id of the member site.

Mine looks something like this: orgspring.com/pro-upgrade/?bid=33
    "pro-upgrade" is the upgrade page slug i set for my site and 33 is just a sample blog id of one of my member sites.

That would take some custom coding and hacking of the message sent by wordpress, but it would work as a mix of manual and automatic.