Automessage Unsubscribe

Hi.

The unsubscribe function sends the following email:

– Unsubscribe request processed

– Your unsubscribe request has been processed and you have been removed from our mailing list. Thank you. The BuddyPress Team.

With neither localization nor filter at all, so no way to override it and remove “The BuddyPress Team”! Moreover, the function deals with replacements but doesn’t apply them. In fact, it just looks not finished. You haven’t got feedback about that?

My suggestion:

– Add the unsubscribe message as a setting (both subject and message) as it looks it was supposed to be.

– At that stage, please add as well as a setting the unsubscribe part that is currently added to every outgoing message by the code. Since I can have my own messages with the plugin, I’d like to be able (actually I need) to customize that part as well.

– To make this feature work, add and manage a new replacement like %unsubscribeurl%.

My only way to presently use the plugin is to remove the current unsubscribe feature with a custom replacement, so please keep me posted.

Thanks.

• asimetrick
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Phil.

Since you have to change the code like we both said, please provide an option, or at least apply a filter, so I can customize the message. The same for the unsubscribe part (line breaks + dash line + message + link) added to the other messages (new replacement needed as well as requested) in the send message function.

My need is simple: my site is multilingual and I must send every message in the language of the subscriber. Additionally, I send them in HTML. I understand the plugin is not designed for those needs, so I made a patch for both of them, but I need those “little” enhancements to complete it.

Thanks a lot.

• asimetrick

Hi.

Any update on this one?

I take the opportunity to add a small request: add a filter on the “from” email so we can make those automated messages more personal if we wish.

So to make it very short and sweet, here are 3 very small changes in ‘classes/class-user.php’ that will make all the difference:

– line 74:

$replacements = apply_filters('automessage_replacements', $replacements, $this);

– line 94:

$header = 'From: "' . apply_filters( 'automessage_from', $replacements['/%sitename%/'] . '" <noreply@' . str_replace('http://', '', $replacements['/%siteurl%/']) . '>' );

– lines 127 and 128:

$header = 'From: "' . apply_filters( 'automessage_from', $replacements['/%sitename%/'] . '" <noreply@' . str_replace('http://', '', $replacements['/%siteurl%/']) . '>' );

$res = @wp_mail( $this->user_email, apply_filters( 'automessage_unsubscribe_subject', __( "Unsubscribe request processed", 'automessage' ) ), apply_filters( 'automessage_unsubscribe_msg', __( "Your unsubscribe request has been processed and you have been removed from our mailing list.nnThank you", 'automessage' ) ), $header );

Thanks.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya,

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that’s great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we’ll get onto it and helping you out asap!

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Phil

• scarstens
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I just had a huge problem with this plugin.

First, it sent the email from the “network site admin” email address instead of the site admin email?

Next it sent “unsubscribe” links in all the emails and the unsubscribe links were to the “parent site” and not the “child site”. Lastly its sending 7, yes 7, emails back when you click the link. Then the landing page for the link? Fails, displays the index.php from the parent theme.

Used for WordCamp Phoenix site, now I look like a fool. Guess I should have spent more time testing this plugin before using it. Just assumed since it was from wpmydev.org that it would be good quality.

• asimetrick

@scartens,

Because it hasn’t properly worked until its last release, I had to debug it from A to Z to make it work. And you’re right, this great plugin has been implemented like crap and with complete lazyness, believe me. Never finished, never tested, full of duplicated code, it took more than 6 months, 2 new releases and tons of tickets to make the basic features finally work, and this topic is still not resolved.

Twice I sent a complete fixed version of the plugin, fully commented, both times only half of the fixed code has been integrated, and instead of making the plugin more extensible like the code I proposed allowed it, it was preferred to make it less and to duplicate still more code.

So I decided to give up. I have my fixed and extensible version that I can intensively use without unsubscibe feature and that I continue to make comply with new releases of the plugin. Hopefully, it will finally be as great with its implementation as it is with its features.

I’m not aware of WPMU DEV’s QA policies and practices, which look pretty deficient in this case, but I have to say that the other plugins I use are very good quality.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

@asimetrick

Just checking in to see if you got everything you needed. If so I’ll close the thread (housekeeping, it’s a girl thing, I can’t help myself) :slight_smile:

@scarstens

Did you want to open a new thread on this? We try to keep the varying issues separate if it looks like they are caused by different things, helps when members like yourself come along with problems and try to search for answers. (again, housekeeping, I’m compulsive!)

Best to you both, I’m subscribing to this one so I can respond accordingly.

Kimberly

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hmm – I can’t duplicate the multiple emails issue locally – I’ll take a closer look at the code and see if I can spot anything that may cause it on some systems. Do you notice any type of redirect (other than the move to the home page) when you click on the link (i.e. does the page refresh a few times?)

Do you have any sort of caching plugin installed?

• ashahar2@gmail.com
    • New Recruit

Home page does look different. It seems that posts are displayed throughout the page. all with full content.

I tried to change my theme but it seems that it didnt change anything. (I got 36 messages)

The page loads without any refresh issue.

For the caching plugin I do not have any caching plugin installed.

Avi

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings,

The person whom we were last working with on this ticket is no longer active making our efforts here now a mute point.

Therefore I am marking this ticket as resolved since we do not haveany other folks reporting this specific issue.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings traviscf,

Knock, Knock – Housekeeping –> Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that’s great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the ‘Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)’ box below the post area (or else we’ll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.