Autoplay video with sound mute button

I am testing a site at https://elevatefb.com/home-2/ where we need the home page header to have a Vimeo (or similar) video as a full page header. We would like this to autoplay on the full screen version and to start with the sound on but to have a sound mute button as a visible control. No other video controls are required, we just want it to loop and allow the viewer to mute the sound. I can get it to do all this with the exception of the sound using Vimeo as a background video and am now looking at different video player options. Do you guys know how to do this?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Guy Parker

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Could you tell me please how are you putting that video on the site currently? I mean: are you using embed code or native WP embed feature or are you using some dedicated player/plugins or maybe Vimeo API?

I know of some plugins (I'm referring to free ones as I don't have a way to test the premium ones that I can find on some marketplaces) for that kind of backgrounds but most of them require locally hosted videos rather than from Vimeo so in this case it might be necessary to dig a bit more into Vimeo API to see if that could be done. Knowing what way are you using now and what have you tried so far could help a bit to "narrow down" possible options :slight_smile:

Looking forward to hear from you,
    Adam

• Guy Parker
    • Flash Drive

I'm using the Uncode theme so originally tried the video as a Vimeo load as a background to a row and this worked but without any sound.

I have an envato elements subscription so am trying a few of their video players to see if they work, The current one is that is showing is called FWD Royal Video Player. It plays with sound but I can't get it to Autoplay.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Guy Parker,

I'm afraid that this wouldn't be possible because browsers are now blocking videos from playing both sound and video at the same time.
    You can read more about that on Vimeo page here:
    https://help.vimeo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004485728-Autoplaying-and-looping-embedded-videos

This is the issue with other players as the browser itself is blocking them.
    I'm not aware of the workaround at the moment so you might need to hire a developer to build a custom solution for you.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.