Avatar cannot be changed in Social Theme

Hi there, I have installed the Social theme and have not been able to upload a new avatar. It will allow me to browse and upload, but then there is no image once it’s uploaded. It has a “crop” button as if the image is there, but there is no image to crop. If I click to crop it, the image still doesn’t crop.

Please advise, I am not using a plugin. I’m using just a single install of WP.

Thanks!

Clare

modernsingleparents.net

• PositiveActionReaction
    • Flash Drive

I seem to also be having the same issue. I am running the latest versions of both wpmu and buddypress and when trying to upload an avatar for a new site it shows it as broken. It takes me through the steps of uploading and cropping (even shows the image for cropping) and then it just shows it as broken. I have tried this under different users as well as different themes. Please help.

I am using Psek for my host.

• Aaron
    • CTO

Please check your error logs. Also do image resizing work in WP? When you upload a new image in a post it should create various sizes. If it only does the fullsize image than it’s likely you are missing the GD php extension. Or your memory limit is not set high enough to resize that image.

• clarifydesigns
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Aaron,

I went ahead and changed it from social to the standard theme and the same problem exists. It also says: There was a problem cropping your avatar, please try uploading it again

Even though there was no image to crop, but I hit crop anyway.

What could be the issue here?

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

since the problem also occur in default bp theme then it must be some kind of htaccess or

permission issue..

if you can enter http://ftp…check if upload folder existed.

var/www/wp-content/uploads..if yes try chmod it to 777

btw..do normal post image attachment upload work?

want to check if its global error or only buddypress component error.

cheers

• clarifydesigns

Hi Richie,

I found the upload folder with an avatars folder inside, and several other folders with random numbers, one says “sign ups”. I did see the images within the folder that I tried uploading for my avatar. I changed the permissions from 775 to 777 in all files/folders and tried uploading again, but had the same issue. So it seems it is accepting the files but they are not showing up as the new avatar. What could be the issue?

Thanks!

Clare

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

try delete the admin(your) avatar from the folder..it should have one big and small..delete both

and now try reupload and recrop your avatar….

i had the similiar situation once when updating bp 1.1 to bp 1.2 and try to reupload a new

avatar to replace the old one but cannot until i manual delete the old one via ftp.

back to pre question

btw..do normal post image attachment upload work?

want to check if its global error or only buddypress component error.

cheers

• clarifydesigns

OK, I deleted the images from the avatar folder and tried to upload again, but no luck. I see the image in the folder though.

To answer your question, I was able to upload post images and they are working ok. Is this a buddypress component error?

• clarifydesigns

Found the answer on a buddypress forum, here it is:

At the bottom of the file copy paste these in over the ones that are there.

This is the edit in bp-core-avatars.php that fixed my problem :

function bp_core_avatar_upload_path() {

if ( bp_core_is_multisite() ) {

if (strlen(get_blog_option( BP_ROOT_BLOG, ‘upload_path’ )) < 3) {

update_blog_option( BP_ROOT_BLOG, ‘upload_path’, ‘wp-content/uploads’ );

}

$path = ABSPATH . get_blog_option( BP_ROOT_BLOG, ‘upload_path’ );

}

else {

if ( !$path = get_option( ‘upload_path’ ) )

$path = WP_CONTENT_DIR . ‘/uploads’;

else

$path = ABSPATH . $path;

}

return apply_filters( ‘bp_core_avatar_upload_path’, $path );

}

function bp_core_avatar_url() {

if ( !bp_core_is_multisite() )

return WP_CONTENT_URL;

return apply_filters( ‘bp_core_avatar_url’, get_blog_option( BP_ROOT_BLOG, ‘siteurl’ ) . ‘/wp-content’ );

//print get_blog_option( BP_ROOT_BLOG, ‘siteurl’ ); exit;

}

• Patrick
    • Flash Drive

I tried this, but it didn’t change the behavior of no uploaded avatar being displayed. There is no error message, and it seems to upload, but no file shows up on the server. Other media uploads work ok.

What is the exact path to where the initial file is to be uploaded?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.