I'm unclear about how the Avatar plugin works with Gravatars. Presently, I'm encouraging my community to use Gravatars, but I've found a little weirdness and I don't know if it's the plugin, odd setup, or what...

When viewing a member in BuddyPress, the profile photo displays the correct Gravatar, but the smaller photo in the second column (between "Me" and the member profile) shows a monster. If I change the default to "Mystery Man" the Gravetar is displayed in that picture as well -- which is what I expect in either case.

So now, I have "mystery" as the default User Avatar (which displays a Gravater if it's available) and the Blue Gravatar Logo as my default Blog Avatar. Users > Your Profile shows my "Current Gravatar" while Users > Your Avatar seems non-functional (presumably because the user has a Gravatar).

It seems that it would be best for me to eliminate Users > Your Avatar somehow since it is confusing and redundant (if a user has a Gravatar).

My question, finally, is: What's the preferred setup for one who wants his site to make the most of Avatars, but by using Gravatars? (Whew!)

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

Hiya,

When viewing a member in BuddyPress

Our avatars plugin should not be used with BuddyPress.

My question, finally, is: What's the preferred setup for one who wants his site to make the most of Avatars, but by using Gravatars?

Our plugin is geared towards local avatars instead of gravatars. So if you want users to use nothing but gravatars then our plugin does not need to be installed.

Thanks,
    Andrew

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

Does the Avatars plugin display Avatars in more places than would using Gravatars without the plugin?

Our plugin replaces the get_avatar plugin. So it's really just a replacement for the default functionality.

What's the benefit of the plugin relative to the default WPMU action?

Local avatars. Please see our replies to your other thread.

Thanks,
    Andrew

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

Our plugin has a completely separate avatar for the blog avatar. The blog avatar can be displayed via the get_blog_avatar() function.

So our plugin shouldn't really interfere since it doesn't use the same function for the blog avatar.

Really though, if you're happy with your current solution there's no need to change anything.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.