Avatars 3.5.7 Uploaded & Activated to Network but Doesn't appear on Site

Avatars 3.5.7 Uploaded to Network Admin at Glutenfreeworks.com.
Activated Avatars 3.5.7.
Site, Glutenfreeworks.com. No Avatar functionality.
Site, Glutenfreeworks.com Plugins. No Avatar plugin on list.
Network Admin, Glutenfreeworks.com Plugins. Avatar plugin on list and activated.

Please advise.

-John

aecnu

Greetings John,

This certainly sounds like a conflict to me but with what I do not know.

Lets cover your installation specifications first and then move on to full Trouble Shooting mode if there are no updates needed or the updates have no effect.

WordPress 3.3.2?
    MultiSite or Solo?
    Buddy Press 1.5.5?
    Avatars 3.5.7 in which you have already mentioned you have.

Please advise on the other specs.

Cheers, Joe

JohnLibonati

Hi Joe,

It looks like you were right. Thanks for the help. Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

I'm using WordPress 3.1.2
    The Glutenfreeworks.com site is solo.
    Buddy Press 1.2.8 - running on network.glutenfreeworks.com.

It looks like Buddy Press was interfering with Avatars.

I had wanted to use Avatars just on the Solo site, but couldn't activate it only on the Solo site.

Anyway, it looks like Avatars was interfering with Another Wordpress Classifieds Plugin as well.

I lost my programmer, so I'm flying blind at this point.

-John

aecnu

Greetings John,

Thank you for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated and sorry to hear about the loss of your programmer.

Forward --> It is certain that the first thing you want to do is make a full backup of your installations and then get them updated.

If you look at the change logs of both WordPress and BuddyPress, there are dozens of bug fixes within the core of those two programs that should be fixed when updated.

It is further my opinion that your network could use better organization to include the solo site into your network which could indeed also work with BuddyPress on a separate site.

All in all, I have yet to hear what you would like to actually do with your sites and the vision involved to actually be able to comment on that vision and what it would take to get there.

Please advise how it is going after running your updates.

Cheers, Joe

JohnLibonati

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the great recommendations.

I dropped our BuddyPress site for now as I don't have the manpower to run it and the Chinese spammers were too hard to keep up with.

I updated to WP 3.3.2 and used WP Database Manager's Repair DB feature to fix the tables on the Glutenfreeworks.com site. The site is running well. (Except for the registration. I have to figure out how to allow people to register. Right now the Join Now link points to the old registration on the BuddyPress site and I'm not sure which page to link it to. Getting to that next.)

I uploaded Avatars 3.5.7.1, but while it shows up on the Network Dashboard plugin list, it doesn't appear on the solo site plugin list. And nothing appears under Your Profile. Do you know if there are any plugins that are known to interfere?

My short-term vision for the website is to provide content AND monetize this content with the Pay Per View plugin. The content is mostly in the form of remedies currently located in an excel spreadsheet that come from a medical reference we published. This excel spreadsheet can be made into individual posts that I plan to upload with CSV Importer.

Regarding long-term vision, we have contact with hundreds of support groups, so in the future I would like to provide them with fundraising opportunities and even hosting their own websites - which could generate advertising revenue that we would split. I would like to offer them a BuddyPress type experience, but have discovered that it is much more work than we thought it would be and people seem to interact less than expected. They want the information given to them and we are in a position to provide it.

-John

aecnu

Greetings John,

Thank you once again for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

I think we were spinning our wheels in an un-winnable fight with the Avatars plugin being that it only runs on MultiSites period.

The plugins page clearly indicates that it only works on MultiSites

Please advise if this is indeed what you are currently running or is it in fact a Solo site?

Cheers, Joe

aecnu

Greetings John,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe