Hello, I'm using WPMU 3.1 and the latest (as of 14 March 2011) Avatars plugin - which I really like

Here's my situation:

1. I upgraded WPMU from 3.0.5 to 3.1, everything went okay (including overwriting the options-discussion.php file which was changed by the OLD version of Avatars).

2. Then I upgraded to the new version of Avatars by putting it into the plugins directory and network activating it. (AFTER removing all the old Avatar files from mu-plugins)

3. At that point I lost my POST avatars.

I DO have "Show Avatars" selected in the Admin Panel. The Blog Avatar is showing, the Comment Avatars are showing, Directory Avatars are fine too.

Any help with this would be appreciated as I put so much time into making the last one work and I loved it!

My site is HERE.

Thanks!

• jabbermonkey

Hello David and thanks for the welcome.

Yea, I'm having a confusing time here. I had the old avatar plugin and with weeks of modifications (and learning what was going on), I had it working. Now I installed the new on and it's not working.

I wish this were easier.

Here's the link to my site and one of only two posts I have (NOTICE IT'S SHOWING A GRAVATAR NOT AN AVATAR): HERE.

Here's a link to one of my working avatars from a FIRST COMMENT on a dummy blog I created: HERE.

• jabbermonkey

David (et al), just to update and ask:

Does this plugin work on other test sites? Meaning do ALL the gravatars get exchanged for the new avatars that are uploaded by site admins, subscribers, etc?

Is there a BLOG avatar in this new system? The old one had a blog avatar widget...how about this one?

I'm working on a recently upgraded WPMU 3.1 site, so any reconfigurations that I made with WP 3.0.5 would have been overwritten.

I've previously posted links to my posts (only two) which do not show Avatars, but rather Gravatars.

Thanks

• DavidM

I'm going to check with our developers regarding the avatars being used instead of the Gravatars, but I wanted to check with you on a couple of other things as well. What version of the Edu-clean theme are you using? Are you not seeing a blog widget in your list of widgets?

Also, you mentioned some customizations. Did you customize your prior version of Avatars? Or was it the Edu-clean theme you customized?

Thanks,
    David

• jabbermonkey

David, hello,

I am using the Edu Clean Child Theme 2.1.8 (that's the latest). Yes, I did modify the parent, BUT then I upgraded the parent to the 2.1.8 and then activated the child.

You know David, I'm having so many issues with all this that I'm pretty close to starting over with the whole site. Yes, I did a lock of hacking on the WP 3.0.5 files, but then I did a complete to WP 3.1, overwriting all of the changes that I've made, THEN removed all the plugins from MU-PLUGINS but the following:

/admin-menu-editor
    /supporter-files
    /incsub-support
    admin-menu-editor-mu.php
    cets_simple_dashboard.php
    ds_wp3_user_activation_keys.php
    global-header.php
    incsub-support.php
    supporter-ads.php
    supporter-buddypress.php
    supporter-bulk-upgrades.php
    supporter-framework.php
    supporter-gateway-paypal.php
    supporter-plugins.php
    supporter-premium-support.php
    supporter-quota.php
    supporter-themes.php
    supporter-xmlprc.php
    widget-supporter-badge.php
    widget-supporter.php
    wpmu-block-spam-by-math.php

My Plugins folder contains:

/ad-widget
    /additional-tags
    /addthis
    /admin-ads
    /admin-message
    /akismet
    /avatars-files
    /blog-types
    /blogs-directory
    /blogtemplates
    /bns-login
    /comment-indexer
    /dashboard-widgets-network-removal
    /dashboard-widgets-order
    /default-theme
    /easyblogging
    /easybloggingtooltips
    /easybloggingwizard
    /facebook-members
    /forums
    /friends
    /google-sitemap-generator
    /invite
    /limit-blogs-per-user
    /login-image
    /login-redirect
    /logout-redirect
    /members-list
    /messaging
    /network-blog-manager
    /news-announcement-scroll
    /personal-welcome
    /post-google-map
    /post-indexer
    /quick-cache
    /rebranded-meta-widget
    /recent-global-posts-widget
    /recent-posts
    /remove-permalinks-menu-item
    /remove-wp-dashboard-widgets
    /signup-blog-description
    /signup-password
    /supporter-advertising
    /Terms of Service
    /thanks-you-counter-button
    /theme-visibility-manager
    /themebrowser
    /ultimate-translation-plugin
    /user-role-editor
    /widget-logic
    /wordpress-video-plugin
    /wp-better-emails
    /wp-polls
    /wpmu-dev-seo
    /wpmudev-updates
    hello.php
    index.php

I installed all the new plugins from WPMU DEV (Avatars, Easy-Blogging, Easy-Blogging Wizard and Tooltips, WPMU Dev Seo, as well as the updated Edu Blogs Parent and Child Themes)...

And here's where I stand AFTER updating everything:

Avatars are not completely working.
    Subscribers don't have a proper dashboard WHEN Easy Blogging is activated.

I've deactivated most of the plugins trying to find the issues and it's just not working....it's not fun anymore.

I've been working on this site for 8 weeks now...8 to 9 hours a day (I'm retired). I have 14 other websites and I've been building websites for over 10 years now. I've never had to spend more than two weeks building a site

Sometimes it's easier to just start the entire project over, because somewhere along the line something is "hosing" this up.

The questions that I have before I think that rebuilding is my only option are:

1. Should your Avatars plugin show avatars where gravatars would normally show?
    2. Should a Subscriber have a full dashboard when Easy Blogging is activated?

Thanks David, and to the developer that gets this.

• jabbermonkey

Okay, I found out that the avatars plugin doesn't implant avatars into a post that is made by an author AND posted onto his blog. In-so-far as posts avatars, this plugin only reveals an author avatar for the global posts feature (which is another plugin).

I have, however, made it work on my site by a one word change in the template.

After reinstalling a fresh WPMU 3.1 and EDU-CLEAN (parent and child - and activating the child), I fixed the SUBCRIBER issue (so that was MY FAULT in my coding ... somewhere). So that part is resolved.

Thanks, but I resolved this issue.