Avatars Plugin for Multisite - Users do not have sufficient permissions

Both the user avatar for the main site, and their blog avatar wont allow users to press "change avatar" when you click "change avatar" it brings you to the 'You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.'

The plugin is installed and activated. The default avatar is displayed for both the user and blog when you visit profile, but the permissions seem to block access to change.

I have already tried to download a user role editor plugin to adjust the permissions for users etc. But the capabilities do not list upload avatar, so i can not even tell if a user has sufficient permissions.

Please advise

• PC

Hello @servicehunter1

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

The plugin is installed and activated. The default avatar is displayed for both the user and blog when you visit profile, but the permissions seem to block access to change.

I have already tried to download a user role editor plugin to adjust the permissions for users etc. But the capabilities do not list upload avatar, so i can not even tell if a user has sufficient permissions.

That seems to me like a role conflict on your site as be default it allows everyone to change their avatar.

Can you please advise -

Is that happening with all user roles ? Or any specific user role ?
    Have you checked for a plugin conflict ? (Disable all other plugins, and test it out with just the default WordPress theme and Avatars plugin active) That will help us narrow down if its a theme/plugin conflict.

Please advise.

Cheers, PC

• servicehunter1

Thanks for the reply. It seems that my users can change their avatars but only if they are on their blog. On my multisite network, my users have a blog and they are a user of my main site.

When the users are on my site and they go to their profile it will not allow them to upload it. But if they visit their blog (subdomain) of my site it allows them to update it.

Is that how it is supposed to function? I though my users can upload an avatar on their profile on my site and then have a blog avatar as well?

please advise

• PC

Hiya,

Thanks for posting back

When the users are on my site and they go to their profile it will not allow them to upload it. But if they visit their blog (subdomain) of my site it allows them to update it.

Is that how it is supposed to function? I though my users can upload an avatar on their profile on my site and then have a blog avatar as well?

Yes, that is how it works.

I will tell you the reason why.

When someone signs up on your site for a blog, they are the admin of their blog. But at the same time they are also added as a user of your site.

They can make the changes required on their blog but they cant do that on your site at the same time as they have limited rights.

If you want to modify that, you can use a plugin like http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/multisite-user-management/ and assign them a default role on your website.

Cheers, PC

• servicehunter1

But then why would each user who creates a blog (subdomain on my site) have the option to have both a user avatar and blog avatar under the same user account? When posting comments and such is there a way to allow them the choice of who they want to post as; the blog (avatar) or the user avatar?

Currently it is functioning using always the blog avatar when they post a comment. So why even have a user avatar if it never displays because the blog avatar always is set to default?

• PC

Hey @servicehunter1

Blog Avatar : Is used for the blog activities and

User Avatar : Is used for the user activities.

If they do not set a user avatar then it will not be displayed.

When posting comments and such is there a way to allow them the choice of who they want to post as; the blog (avatar) or the user avatar?

No that is not a choice. Blog avatar is shown wherever the blog is listed.

Checkout the usage instructions here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/avatars#usage

The best way to test is create a blog, create a user and set the avatars and then login to the account in a different browser and make comments to see if that helps.

Please advise.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.