Avatar's showing up black after upload

I having a problem after updating my site to 3.1 and updating to the latest version of the avatar plugin 3.5.4.

I used to have avatars installed in mu-plugins and wp-content. I removed the .htaccess file reference. At first I wasn't able to upload anything, but went in and changed the file permissions for /wp-content/uploads/avatars/ and I am now able to upload.

I can even crop (but it is showing up what looks like a header cropping area in the background before my front cropping area). But it shows me the box for the avatar. But when I crop and save it just turns up black. I tried different picture types.

The alternate upload button works, but it doesn't allow me to crop.

Thoughts? Thank you for your help.

~Jeff

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Jeff,

Have you tried this with more than one image? This can be an issue caused by an incompatible image (such as one with a %20 in the title or a png with transparency).

If that's not it, can you check for any javascript conflicts? This can be cause by two plugins conflicting - you can check by disabling all other plugins and trying with just the avatars plugin enabled.

Let us know!

• UNC Web Services
    • New Recruit

I have tried with multiple pics. All the same. .jpg, .png (with no background). All have normal character names.

I tried deactivating all plugins on the site itself, as well as the multi-site plugins. (except wp-super-cache... it required editing the config file to deactivate it).

Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot this?

• UNC Web Services
    • New Recruit

Mason. Thanks for your reply. Yes, this is still a problem. I am wondering if it is a package I might not have installed on my server. That seems unlikely since other cropping tools (headers, etc) work fine, but thought I would throw that out there. Thanks for your help.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

I have tested the Avatars version 3.5.4 with WordPress 3.1 and 3.1.1, and it's working fine for me, with or without wp-super-cache. This, of course, doesn't mean that you did something wrong, it just means that I haven't managed to replicate your configuration to witness the problem myself.

It's quite unlikely that the problem is a missing plugin, as Avatars should work well standalone on a network install (again, it does for me).

I see you mentioned Avatars in mu-plugins folder. This is an old version and should be deleted when you installed the latest version (3.5.4). The latest version should be uploaded to /wp-content/plugins/ folder.

Can you please confirm that you removed the old version and that you have the version 3.5.4 of the plugin in the /wp-content/plugins/ folder?

• UNC Web Services
    • New Recruit

Yes, this is still a problem. I worked on this for many hours, and could still not get it to work. I'm thinking it has something to do with the permissions on our server. We have it locked down pretty good, but even making the folders completely 777 doesn't allow it to work right. We are not on a shared hosing, but our own dedicated server at our university.

In the end, I got so frustrated I just took off the plugin off of my site for now. It is nice, but not necessary. I am hoping that a future release will address those permissions issues better somehow. It certainly used to work before I updated... perhaps I should just go back to the old days...

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya jeffvand,

Well, we're continually working to improve the plugins around here :slight_smile:

These small issues are sometimes the most irritating to troubleshoot as there's so many variables to consider.

If it were a permissions issue, it should block the plugin from working altogether - images wouldn't upload at all. The plugin is designed to report this to you if there's an error in this regard.

I've seen images change to completely black while using the default WordPress uploader before - not even a separate plugin. What happens when you upload something through the media library?

Honestly, you may even want to try a manual overwrite of all WordPress files. Something in the system could have caused a glitch and one of the files is corrupt causing this. It's tricky - but a good install of WordPress Multisite and this plugin should work absolutely fine.

Let us know if you'd like to continue looking at this with ya.

Thanks!

• UNC Web Services
    • New Recruit

Normal media uploads work fine, as do the custom headers on themes like twenty-ten. I have not tried deactivating all the plugins since the latest upgrade, but I did before.

For now, I am going to leave this one behind. There are so many other things to focus on, like updating the farms pack we use on the site.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Jeff,

Understood - though I'd still consider overwriting the core WordPress files via FTP. Ya never know :slight_smile:

Anyway, if you do wanna pick this one up ever, just re-open and let us know. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.