Back up the entire network with MultiSite

Hi,
So, I've installed Snapshot Pro and played around with a few backups.

What I'd like to know is this: Is it possible to backup the entire multisite - including all tables and all files as a single backup?

If this is not possible, and I have to backup each blog individually, is it then possible to restore a backup into the same existing network, or will it override the entire database?

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Henrik,

What I'd like to know is this: Is it possible to backup the entire multisite - including all tables and all files as a single backup?

No - with Snapshot you have to make backup for each subsite separately. You have to start with main site, and then subsites. Each snapshot can have tables and files.

If this is not possible, and I have to backup each blog individually, is it then possible to restore a backup into the same existing network, or will it override the entire database?

Yes, you can restore snapshots to the same network - this is main purpose of Snapshot - you have backups in case something will go wrong. And yes, restoring snapshots that are having included tables from database will override exiting ones. If you want to restore only files, then you don't include tables in your snapshot.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Henrik

Thanks for getting back,
    the way you've explained this it sounds like it's not really useful at all...

If I need to restore a site which is part of a multisite, and the restore process replaces all the database tables, then it will effectively destroy the other sites in the multisite. So the only real alternative would be to back up the entire multisite, but then you say that this is not possible...

So as far as multisites are concerned, this plugin is only really useful for file backups.

Is this the correct understanding?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.