Backup 100 GB website with Snapshot PRO

Hi,

is Snapshot PRO prepared to backup websites with huge amount od media files?

Like 100 GB of photos in media folder.

I think 100 GB in one .zip file is not possible.

Can managed backup do it? And can it some of snapshots?

Thanks,
Jiri

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Jiri,

I hope you're fine today and thanks for that interesting question!

That amount of data is quite big amount and I must say Snapshot probably won't be able to handle that well. I also consulted it with our developers to make sure and it seem with that size of a site you'd rather need to use some other solution.

In fact, no backup plugin (so a tool that works solely "within WordPress") would handle that well. That's too much data to handle, it means huge I/O spikes and general server resource usage.

You could actually try to set a large number of smaller, carefully scheduled (so they wouldn't overlap) snapshots (as in "Snapshot -> Snapshots", not "Snapshot -> managed backups") but that would still be a risk in terms of server load/stability/reliability/performance.

A cron-based, server side solution would be the way to go in such case, basically some "industrial level", platform independent backup tool.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Jiri
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks for your reply.

And did you think about differential backup functionality?

It will be great to see it in Snapshot Pro. It should back up and restore only the changed files and databases and not the entire site every time.

Like WP Time Capsule ( https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-time-capsule/ ) or other plugins.

It would be great for all users - fast and not resource expensive. I think that is the future :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.