Backup all sites in WPMU network at once?

Using snapshot, how can I back up ALL the sites in my WPMU network at once? I don’t want to do it one-by-one.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey John,

Hope you’re doing well today and thanks for your question!

Backing up all your sites at one time would likely crash your server, or at least slow down your sites to a crawl. Unless you have a really awesome server of course :slight_smile:

Either way, the best option here is to schedule the back ups for your sites so you only have to back them up once each then after that it will all happen automatically and you won’t have to worry about it.

How does that sound? Let us know if you have any further questions!

I’ll still put this in as a feature request for you too :slight_smile:

Look forward to hearing back.

All the best,

Tyler

• John Guilfoil
    • New Recruit

hey Tyler,

Thanks for the response! I didn’t mean to actually back up each site at the same time — i meant that I want to schedule a single backup action, overnight, that backs up my entire WPMU Network, not just one site. I have about 30 sites in my network, and it would be a hassle to configure the plugin on each of the 30 sites and setup updates for each site, and then have to repeat the process every time I add a new site.

I just want to be able to schedule the plugin to backup my entire network…can it do that?

• Eric Collin
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Tyler, Am I missing something?

I NETWORK activated Snapshot and can’t see the tables of the sub sites.

I want to take a snapshot of all the network tables example: wp_2_options.

I cant see any numbers but just the MAIN site tables (wp_options)

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi there, Eric!

Actually, according to this thread: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/multisite-backups-with-snapshot, it looks like Snapshot needs to be configured for each subsite, because Snapshot only captures the tables from the site you’re working on at the time, not the entire database.

Like Tyler recommended above, the easiest way to make this process simple is to set it up initially to run at regular intervals, so you won’t need to rerun each time a site is updated.

Hope this helps a bit!

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Eric,

Hope you’re doing well today and thanks for your question.

Yes, so Snapshot has to be network activated and then you can schedule a snapshot for each site from the Network Admin Snapshot settings :slight_smile:

When adding a new snapshot it will ask you which site you want to do it for.

You will have to repeat that process once for each site. Once you have that all setup then it will backup your entire network site by site.

I would still recommend having a server side backup solution as well, such as cPanel – that is what I usually use, then also have Snapshot back up each site in-case an individual site restore is ever needed.

Hope this helps!

All the best,

Tyler

• Eric Collin
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks so much Tyler, you know why I get all confused?

Activated on NETWORK I only see the setting on NETWORK Menu.

I don’t see any snapshot settings on sub-sites.

Even if I want to activate BY SITE rather than sub-sites I never see the snapshot plugin listed on my plugin list on sub-sites.

This is the glitch I think.

I am set up with FOLDERS sub-sites not sub.domain sub-sites.

I will have to forget the use of that plugin I guess.

P.S. I also do backups hourly with Backupbuddy but wanted an easy way to restore snapshots like we do with virtual machines. :slight_smile:

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Eric,

No problem, happy to help :slight_smile:

Ah, yes Snapshot must be network activated on a multisite. Then you can snapshot individual sites from there and also restore them easily from there.

It will work fine with both subdirectory and subdomain multisites :slight_smile:

Let us know if you need any further assistance here Eric.

All the best,

Tyler

• adaldesign
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

After reading and fully understanding all the answers to this thread, I would like to:

+1 the request to have an option to set up automatic backups for ALL subsites from a single screen (perhaps with a 15 minute delay between each site, done once a week for example).

Networks can grow to hundreds of sites and having to set up backups separately for each site is a real hassle.

I understand and agree with the ability to backup and restore sites individually, but would simply like some programmatic help in getting options set up.

Make sense?

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey adaldesign,

Thanks for adding your support here, yeah that makes sense to me.

I do also want to mention that since this thread was created we introduced Managed Backups in Snapshot, which allows for backing up your entire Multisite network. I know you are wanting to be able to automatically backup all subsites one by one, but perhaps that will be at least a safety net for the time being to ensure you always have the full network backed up :slight_smile: You can find that option within Snapshot via:

Snapshot > Managed Backups.

Hope you have a great rest of your weekend.

Cheers,

Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

No problem! At the moment the only destination for managed backups is our own servers. We don’t have more locations planned right now, but that could always change – especially if we’re getting requests for it.

If it eases your mind at all, the staff that even have access to the member backups are our system admins and lead developer. So they are quite secure :slight_smile: not to say our other staff aren’t trust worthy of course, but yeah I’m sure the less people who have access to them the better far as security is concerned.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.