Backup error

I have tried everything to make a backup with the snapshot, but it did not work. It got stuck. I will need assistance. Thanks in advance. Kind regards, Luuk

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Luuk Soons

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Are you referring to "Snapshot -> Snpashots" or "Snapshot -> Managed Backups" (or both) and are there any error messages/warnings or it "just gets stuck"? Let me know about it, please.

I would also need to take a closer look at the site so would you please enable support access to it for me? To do so, please go to the "WPMU DEV -> Support" page in your site's back-end, click on "Grant support access" button there and let me know once it's done.

I'll then access the site to investigate the issue.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Luuk Soons

Thanks for enabling access and for additional information.

I've accessed and checked the site and I could see the issue. The site itself is not very "complex" and the server parameters (except for PHP version seems fine) - those that I can see. Yet, the time out occurs.

I run a couple of tests on the site and I think this is a server site issue. Most likely, it would be related to I/O limits or similar - if a given process uses all available I/O resources, server is "cutting it off" which. But the script have no way of knowing it and it keeps trying, which in the end results in such time outs and/or 500 Internal Server Errors.

One thing that you could try would be to get in touch with your host and ask them to check how the resources are used while the Snapshot backup process is running and there is a chance they'll be able to identify what limits are being hit and possibly raise them. But I can't guarantee that as different hosts have different approach and, especially on shared hosts, it's not always possible to tweak server configuration on "per site" basis.

So, I'd suggest talking to them first but if that doesn't help, there's a workaround that should be working. I tested it (tho "manually" for now) on your site and I was able to complete number of backups successfully (you'll notice a "WPMU TEST" snapshot there that I used for testing):

instead of creating one snapshot, create four separate smaller snapshots

1. First one would only backup "All theme files", "wp-config.php" and ".htaccess" file; you can set that up by selecting "Only include selected files" in "Files" section of snapshot configuration (and checking aforementioned files) and selecting "Don't include database tables" in "Database" section there.

2. Second one would only backup "All plugins" (but no other files)

3. Third one would only backup "Media files"

4. And the last one would backup no files (set "Don't include any files" in "Files" section) but would include all database tables (set "Include all database tables" in "Database" section).

While creating these backups, configure them to be scheduled (instead of running "once off") and make sure that they are about an "hour away" (or more) from each other, so if the first one is scheduled for, for example, 1am, the second one should be scheduled to 2am and so on.

Once that's done, just leave it for a while (so two, three times schedule passes) and see if the backups are created. They should be as this way I was able to create them even manually and the backup process should be a bit less "heavy" on a server.

I would also suggest upgrading PHP to a newer versoin, if possible. A 7.x (7.1.x or 7.2x) would be much better than the 5.6.3x that is powering the site now as it's lighter (in terms of resource usage), more stable, more secure and just faster.

To sum it up: please talk to your host and if they can't tweak server resources limits for you, please try that multiple smaller backups solution. Let me know if that does the job for you.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.