Backup fails with generic error message

I am trying to restore a backup and get this error message:

"There was an error restoring your backup"

Then it asks me to sign back into WordPress.

I have the PHP Max Execution Time set to 1200.

James Morris

Hello TenFootTable,

I hope you are well today. Thank you for having Support Staff Login enable so I could take a better look into your site.

I'm seeing some issues with your configuration that may be contributing to this issue.

First, your PHP configuration needs updated.

Your current setup is as follows:

PHP Version	5.5.19
    upload_max_filesize	55M
    post_max_size	8M

The current recommended version of PHP for WordPress is version 7.x. The oldest, still supported version of PHP is 5.6.x. We test for compatibility as far back as 5.6.30. Many plugin authors have abandoned the 5.x branch and are moving forward with the 7.x branch. To ensure compatibility with the WordPress core and plugins that rely on it, and to ensure that you have the most secure site possible, I recommend that you update to at least 5.6.30.

Next, in either your php.ini or .user.ini file, you should consider updating your values as follows:

upload_max_filesize	128M
    post_max_size	128M

Your memory limit more than supports this adjustment and will help with many plugins. You can learn more about how to do this in the following article: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/increase-memory-limit/

Finally, I found the following values for your WordPress configuration:

WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT	512M
    WP_MEMORY_LIMIT	40M

These values define how much memory WordPress allocates for plugins and core functions. You can safely adjust the value for WP_MEMORY_LIMIT in your wp-config.php file using the following directive.

// Increase WP Memory Limit
    define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

Just add the above in your wp-config.php just about the line /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */.

Please try making the following adjustments to your configuration and see if this resolves your issue.

Best regards,

James Morris