Backup is buggy and giving leaves people with wrong impression

Hi Devs
I had just a chat with Vaughan and we discoverd irregularities with snapshot which are not at all good.
1. I configured all wpmudev plugins needed for the hub manually.
2. I wanted to run a backup but it did not run at all
3. Then there was the option to setup all plugins with the same domain again so I checked that out
4. Next the chat window popped up and Vaughan said hello - no idea why that popped actually up as I had nothing requested but as he was there I told him about that problem
5. The installation of all plugins went through without any problems - haha - well they were actually already installed and configured before
6. I ran backup again and it gave an error and file only 1.6KB
7. I increased max allocation from 256M to 512M

8. ran backup again now we had 10.6KB
only some woocommerce tables from the default site (empty) had been backed up

9. Vaughan had the idea to insert the following code to wp-config

/* Snapshot Settings */
define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 100);
define('SNAPSHOT_TABLESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 100);
define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_USE_PRECACHE', true);
define('SNAPSHOT_FORCE_ZIP_LIBRARY', 'pclzip'); // try pclzip or archive
define('SNAPSHOT_IGNORE_SYMLINKS', true);
/* End of Snapshot Settings */

10. Tried another backup
Now that backup is running since a couple of minutes and it looks like it is complete that time - should hold about 37 subfolder sites

I would suggest to take snapshot offline until that is fixed as it leaves people in the impression something got backed up - especially when they get a green message but actually only 10KB had been backed up as spl. like in my case some empty woocommerce tables and terms.

Backups need to be reliable and should not at all fail and especially they should be able to check if the whole site had been backed up. A simple comparison of the folder size could work as a security step to check if it isn't only a file with empty .sql files.

Incremental Backups are a must and they will come but as long as that isn't available better take snapshot off before people try to restore their sites with 9 woocommerce tables ;-( in a 10KB file.

I also suggest that the code Vaughan provided gets added by default to wp-config as with that code it seems to work now.

I will check the content tomorrow as right now its already after midnight here and need to take some rest!
The backup has now 52% and is still backing up sop it seems to work with Vaughans code. Let's see!
CU
Andi

• Andi
    • The Exporter

As you can see here in the screenshot the used size seems not to be updated correctly!

The backup file can not be expanded on mac while the first files were no problem at all.

In other words I can't check if that is a complete backup or not ;-(

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello Andi,

I hope you are well today.

Thank you for your feedback. I'm afraid taking Snapshot offline is not an option, though. There are some known issues that are being worked through and resolved, but as a whole most members are using this plugin successfully without issue. Many are using our Managed Backup service to backup sites over 3GB in size.

The defines shared by Vaughan are not intended for every situation. So, adding them to every install is not advisable.

Our team is currently working on a major rewrite of this plugin that is due out very soon that will address the most common issues encountered. However, I will still point this thread to them so they will be aware of this feedback.

If the backup continues to fail on your site, please reply back here and I will be more than happy to work with you on this issue further.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.