Backup not getting staging site?

I understand that Hosting includes some incremental backups. But there are also nightly saves as seen in the site mainteance screen. It looks like only the live site is getting the auto backup, not the staging site. I see these as two parts of the same site, equally valuable.

The automation is redundant with managed backups. I'd prefer to see the automation go away and to see logs of the incrementals. I'd also like to see automated incremental logging of the staging sites. And then we can continue to use scheduled Managed Backups, Snapshot, or whatever other utility each admin prefers for doing their full backups.

Can someone explain in one place here where we're going with all backup mechanisms in Hosting?

Thanks.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Tony,

Backups are only including live site at the moment and I’m not sure if there are currently any plans on including staging site in there.

I have pinged our sysadmins and devs about your questions and we will update you here with more information as soon as possible :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Predrag

• Tony G
    • Mr. LetsFixTheWorld

I’m really confused about the intent for usage of the staging site. Perhaps someone can blog about the expected workflow. Then it might make sense to me why there’s no interest in getting a backup of a development area.

From Patrick Freitas (with minor typo correction) :

The staging feature has the main purpose of running tests like, plugin/theme conflict, also some development,

My impression of workflow, please correct:

– Copy Live to Staging

– Add plugins, change theme, adjust menu, add widgets…

– Looks good? Copy back to Live.

It can take days to get through that process, with development, researching tech issues, and getting confirmations. If the site is lost during that time, we lose work. That’s not acceptable.

If a backup isn’t done in staging, we can use Snapshot or any other conventional tools. I have no problem doing my own backps to protect my work. I just want to know what the rules are. I could make a wrong choice. For example: Snapshot backups are saved to the local file system, and if that goes away so do the backups. And how are Managed backups handled if we get a snapshot in staging space and then we replace staging with live … do we lose the managed backups or does the Hub now link sites for backups?

I’m not looking for product changes. What’s getting me in all of this is confusion about what’s not yet defined. We can’t test it if we don’t know how you guys expect it to work. I’m concerned that people will start using it, things will blow up, and Then someone there is going to say “that’s not how we intended it to work”. Please don’t let that happen. I’m looking for a blog or documentation that explains how you guys intend live/staging/backups to work in common workflow scenarios.

This is very simple: Use the system and explain to us what you’re doing and what you expect. Destroy something and tell us how you recover it. Do we need an external solution to handle a common use case? Please document that!

I have patience that if this is going to be done that it will take time. But please, just don’t let this hang undone until someone loses work.

Thanks.

• Ronnie Burt
    • Hosting & Biz Dev

Heya Tony G – I don’t have much to add to the conversation at this time, other than to say that we are discussing more internally. Valuable stuff, as always. There are quite a few variables that we are trying to balance in the containerized architecture, and we have much to ponder :slight_smile:

• Chris
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Ronnie – I ran into an issue as well thinking the Staging Site was being backed up. I installed the Snapshot plugin but was notified on the install that back-ups were not necessary when hosting with WMPUDev. Unfortunately, I have to do some backward navigation to sort an issue.

I suggest to help inform users is on the STAGING menu in the HOSTING section of the site you add a notification that STAGING is not backed up and that you recommend taking SNAPSHOTS, or something to that effect. That way it is front and center before you get too deep.

• Tony G
        • Mr. LetsFixTheWorld

Ronnie Burt I started this thread last November. Is 7+ months not enough time to have a discussion and document how we expect a product to function? C’mon now. This is significant stuff, as I’ve clearly stated above. I haven’t put any sites in Hosting yet due to a small number of these places where catastrophic things can go wrong, that we all know can happen, but for which there is no plan or accommodation. Please do something about this. This is sloppy and asking for trouble with no good reason.

Respect and thanks.

• Ronnie Burt
          • Hosting & Biz Dev

Hiya Tony G – we definitely have had many a discussion and have made improvements on documentation. Can we do even more? Of course. It is always a work in progress. Providing a means for backups of staging is not technically possible without causing a whole lot more problems than it solves, unfortunately.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.