Backup & Restore

I'm looking for the best way to backup and restore wordpress multisite installations. Specifically, I have a multisite that I use to set up sites as subdomains for testing purposes that I can then save a snapshot of and restore that snapshot on a new installation to migrate the entire site with no issues, the problem arises when I need to restore that installation to another multisite, Snapshot will only restore to the primary domain/site. I've heard that other programs have issues with this as well, does anyone know the best/easiest method to export a wordpress installation (both from a single install or multisite subdomain) and restore/migrate it to a separate multisite subdomain? I can't seem to find answers anywhere.

• aecnu

Greetings travis_burnett,

Thank you for bringing this item to our attention and I believe the best qualified answer will come from the lead developer himself.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Paul

Snapshot will only restore to the primary domain/site.

To be accurate Snapshot will restore only to the sub-site from the original backup. So if you have a Multisite setup with 10 sites/blogs. With Snapshot you currently need to setup backups for each individual site. So for example you backup site #5. The restore will only work for site #5. You cannot migrate/move that site to a different location within the same Multisite system. Nor can you move the snapshot to a different Multisite. This is coming in a future version. Just lots of issues and variables.

I've heard that other programs have issues with this as well...

Yeah, see my previous answer. Most backup plugins work with Multisite in one way. They all seems to operate under the "backup the entire' system premise. With Snapshot we chose a different option in that we backup each site individually. This make restores easier in that you only need to restore the single site not the entire network. But it does make moving an entire Multisite system impossible.

As for the general direction of Snapshot we are working to allow some forms of migration. As I mentioned above when you backup one sub-site Snapshot expects that you will only restore to that same sub-site. But like you many other members want a way to cleanly backup a sub-site and move to a different Multisite system. Or for that matter backup a sub-site and delete. Then be able to restore later in the example you gave of a development environment. We will get there. Hopefully sooner than later.

• aecnu

Greetings travis_burnett,

With the developers last post, it appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.