Backup restore does not restore state of uploads folder

Testing single site with in multisite and full multisite backups, I took snapshots of both.

I then Added an image into a new post.

Ran restore for single site - the images remained in the uploads folder, but were removed from the media library (aka: a database change only)

Ran restore for entire multisite - the images remained in the uploads folder, but were not present in the media library (aka: a database change only)

Ran another full multisite backup, then Deleted the files from the uploads folder, and tried full site restore - the files came back in the uploads folder.

Summary:
* Files will be backed up if they exist, and will be restored if they have been deleted
* Uploads folder will not have any files removed upon restore, so there are security implications for site rollback, and just general clutter of the uploads folder if it is not cleaned up in some other way.

Question: Is this expected behavior, and if so, can you point me at a good uploads cleaner as this isn't part of snapshot pro?

• James Morris

Hello Cathy Riley,

I hope you are well today.

Is this expected behavior, and if so, can you point me at a good uploads cleaner as this isn't part of snapshot pro?

Yes, this is the expected behavior. Snapshot's primary function is backing up data and restoring any lost data. It does not not function like a barebones backup solution (such as used for operating systems - Acronis is a good example). Rather, the point is to backup your data and restore it in case of failure or accidents. This is also why it does not remove data. The point is to retain your data. Adding a routine to remove data could cause some very unfortunate situations.

With regards managing your media library... Actually, there's a couple excellent plugins you may want to look into to help with this.

The first will help you restore associations of uploads with the media library:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/add-from-server/

The second better helps you manage media in the media library:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/enhanced-media-library/

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris