Backup solutions for WP Multisite with many websites?

So I've been using lots of time to attempting to find a good backup solution for my WPMU site that I am building and it’s a big crazy jungle out there and it hard to figure out what is good and what is bad. I'm planning to offer hosting so I expect in the end that there will be lots of customers/websites on my systems. I been looking into the snap shot plugin too - installed it but I found it a bit limited, in that it only offers me to backup sub-sites domain name names( subdomain.mysite.com) or my main site (mysite.com) and other raw domains that is currently hosted on the system too. I have 3 other sites for example which is my own on the system where 2 use raw domain.com and the last one subsite.domain.com. Now you cannot see those two in the in snapshot pro. They simple do not show up, only the main site. Anyway - I'm not going to rant about this, as this is not my main point/question, (about snapshot).
My main point is that while researching I found this very interesting slider from you guys, WPMU Dev where you actually say that you DO NOT recommend that you use a plugin solution at all for backups, but rather that you should use your current web hosts backup systems instead!
the slide is linked below:
Do's and Don'ts of WordPress Multisite
Now I do find this a bit contradicting since WPMU do promote Snapshot pro for obvious reasons, and I would very much would like to hear the arguments for this and what you think is the best recommendation since you do say "don't use plugins for backup solutions, but use the hosts own backup systems".
I just want to use the best available solution for what I am attempting try to accomplish, with my WPMU solution; hence it would be very interesting to hear about arguments and thoughts about above. I have attached the slide as a PDF to this tread, please view page 14.

Thanks!

• Vaughan

Hi @DreamQuest,

Hope you're well?

It does seem contradictory, but in my preferences I tend to rely more on my webhosts CPanel backup features as they are more reliable & easier to configure.

Snapshot can only backup subsites on the same network, but you have to create a snapshot for each subsite, also it may have limitations especially if you have plugins that might not be doing standard things, so in that sense, the article is stating that backup plugins may not be 100% reliable for backing up large sites, whereas your CPanels backup features are a lot more reliable & also less resource intensive than a plugin would be.

Whilst snapshot is a great tool, if you plan on migrating your site to a new server & domain, you could have some issues (and remembering that the migration features are beta currently)

Another backup tool is backup Buddy which has also come a long way since that article.

Ideally though, for a very large network, I would rather rely on a server side backup solution than a plugin which can ultimately run into problems during the backup or restore processsuch as Timeouts, memory exhaustion & other limitations defined in PHP on the server etc.

Hope this helps

• PowerQuest

@Vaughan Thanks for your reply!

Ideally though, for a very large network, I would rather rely on a server side backup solution than a plugin which can ultimately run into problems during the backup or restore processsuch as Timeouts, memory exhaustion & other limitations defined in PHP on the server etc.

I just spoke to my host meebox.net and they basically said the same; that it is the correct route to take too. "We already take full scaled backups every day, so there is no point in wasting money on other solutions, (eg. backup security plugins etc) that drags down your website and cost a lot disk space+money+ the time to implement and manage.

Thanks for your confirmation in what I was suspecting - I know now what to do!

Server side seems to best route for me. That will save resources also on the WPMU site that can be put in better use in powering customers! :slight_smile:

Snapshot can only backup subsites on the same network, but you have to create a snapshot for each subsite, also it may have limitations

Well, as i understand it, Snap Shot Pro cannot backup root domains on client sites that uses their own domains either, so it kinda falls through the cracks on that point.

Please correct me if I am wrong :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.