Backups Aren't Completing

Our backups are not completing for my AfroFizz.com site, and I believe this is causing an issue with Automate failing to update the site's plugins automatically (due to it initiating a backup before it implements the updates). I chatted (and had a troubleshooting session) with Patrick Freitas the other day, where I discovered that our firewall (Securi) was possibly blocking your backups/Automate service. We therefore permanently whitelisted the following IP addresses, which were provided to us by Patrick...

These are all of the static IP addresses that are utilized by you guys, per Patrick. Also (per Patrick's guidance), we added the following bits of code to our site's wp-config.php file:

/* WPMUDEV Dashboard settings */
define('WPMUDEV_API_DEBUG', true);
define('WPMUDEV_API_DEBUG_ALL', true);

Our AfroFizz.com site (and Taverick.com site) is still however reflecting that no backups can be performed under the "Backups" tab (which is reflecting as red), and when we attempt to manually run/create one via the Hub (on our AfroFizz.com site), it spins for a second, and then the entire screen refreshes with no action taking place.
Please help us with this.
Thank you.

• Nastia

Hello Taverick

Hope you're doing well!

I've tried to access your site to check the Snapshot, although the security plugin has blocked me out.

Would you please try temporary deactivating the plugin and see if the back up will complete?

I'd like to have a closer look at the situation here, could you please send in the following via our secure contact form?

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Nastia
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

Looking forward to your email!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• Taverick

Will do Nastia, and I'll do this here shortly...

BTW - (in regards to our security plugin that initially blocked you) - we've decided to implement this testing on an entirely new WordPress site that we've set up, that’s experiencing the exact same issues that our “AfroFizz.com” site is. It is also a multisite, sub-domain WordPress site like our "AfroFizz.com" site, but doesn't have all of the additional plugins that AfroFizz.com has (to eliminate the possibility of one of those plugins effecting Automate and/or SnapShot) – including the “Securi” firewall plugin that initially blocked you. It also doesn’t yet have any sub-site/sub-domains setup, to keep things even more simpler. The only plugins (besides your "WPMUDev" plugin) that it has installed is our "iThemes Security Defender Pro" plugin to simply keep the site safe-and-secure while its online (as your "Defender" plugin plays quite nicely with "iThemes Security Pro" plugin if conflicting features aren't turned on), and our “Akismet Anti-Spam” plugin. This route should enable your troubleshooting efforts to go much more smoother and a lot faster!

Now that we’ve got this troubleshooting WordPress site setup (which is named “TEMultiSub.com” btw), I’ll move forward with setting up everything else that you’ve asked me to send to you (in your secure contact form), and will inform you that it’s been sent via a follow-up post made here.

Thanks!

• Nastia

Hello Taverick

I trust you're doing well!

I've have responded to your email with some additional questions. I've done Snapshot test on a staging site that you've created, the plugin is working well. So it is possible that when a backup is triggered from our end, something is going wrong.

Since WP Cron is deactivated, please set a manual cron for the Snapshot as

snapshot-controller-full-cron-start_backup
    snapshot-controller-full-cron-rotate_local_backups

After this, please enable Auto update all plugins and themes feature on the Hub along with Auto backup before every update and we will check the logs if next automate update/backup will fail again.

Let us know how it went!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• Nastia

Hello Taverick

I hope all is well!

I apologize for the late reply.

I've checked your sandbox site, while Auto backup before every update is active on a Hub and can confirm that scheduled Managed Backup is not running. After forcing Snapshot's cron job to run from WP Control plugin, still was getting the same message in the error log:
    Immediate hook misfired, kickstart backup processing

I've forwarded this to our second level support developers so they could have a closer look and provide us with some feedback.

I can confirm the second issue with Automate as well on your site. Automate doesn't see or partially seeing plugins that need to be updated. This was also addressed to our second level support developers.

Our developers reply usually takes longer than support reply, so we appreciate your patience in here.

Kind regards,
    Nastia

• Hassan Akhtar

Hi Taverick

Thanks for your patience!

I'm one of the developers working on Snapshot. The problem that you're facing seems to be due to a known issue that we have identified before on WP Engine sites. We already have a fix in place and it will be included in the upcoming version (3.1.9.2).

In the meanwhile I have applied this fix on your website and scheduled backups seem to be running again.

I would like you to take a look at your website and see if there are still any remaining issues.

Thanks,
    Hassan

• Taverick

Haasan/Konstantinos:

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH for figuring this out, and getting to the bottom of it for us! We were contemplating cancelling our WPMDev account due to this not working (due to it being one of the main reasons why we signed-up w/ you guys in the first place), but your investigative efforts (and resolution) just stopped us for abandoning ship! :3 D

We've now re-enabled Automate's "Auto backup before every update" feature on our TEMultiSub site, so Automate should be working as intended on it now. The downside to this is that this "TEMultiSUB" site (which we stood-up solely for you guys to use to get to the bottom of this) is virtually a brand new site with not many plugins - and all of its plugins are currently up-to-date. So its now not a good candidate to test Automate on, at this point in time.

When would version 3.1.9.2 be released by chance? And if its release is far-off, is there anyway you guys could apply this fix to some of our other sites (in the meantime) as well to ensure all is well with our issue? We've purposely locked-down our "AfroFizz.com" site (which is still under development) and haven't updated any of its plugins for a while now so we can use it to test this resolution out (once it was found). Could you guys possibly apply this fix to our "AfroFizz.com" site for us so we can see where everything stands?

Please advise, and once again - THANK YOU!!!

• Konstantinos Xenos

Hey Taverick ,

I don't have an ETA yet for .2 but in the FTP you've provided us I have uploaded a modified version with the fixes so you can install it on your other installations as well as you wish. You'll find it on the TEMultiSUB ftp on the same folder with your wp-config.php as snapshot-pro-3.1.9.1-wp-engine.zip.

Simply either replace the current files with the ones provided in the .zip -or- you can as well uninstall the other Snapshot plugins and install this version instead until the update is live.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
    Konstantinos

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.