Bad Uptime, why?

I have some problem with the up-time of my WordPress install.
See picture below,
can u advise me, why is it so?
I have dedicated VPS.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi fazzz

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The Uptime check is an external tool to monitor whether the site is available or not but still - it's an external check. In case of any doubts, the first thing to do would be to try to make sure first if the site was really down at all this times or not. Looking through the server logs and/or checking site analytics (comparing them to reported downtimes) might help.

If you can confirm that the site was indeed down then the thing to investigate would be why. If you think/confirm that it wasn't really down at all or at least in some of these cases, then the most common reason of such reports is when the site "slows down" temporarily.

The Uptime checks the site every two minutes and waits for the site response (for valid HTTP headers, just like browser would) for 30 seconds so if it doesn't get that response in time, it assumes that the site is down - even if the site responds but "too late".

In such cases, usually what happens is that the site indeed slowed down temporarily, which often is due to a sudden spike of traffic or some temporary server break down or - often - due to some server resources being temporarily "maxed out"; Or it's "geo-location related": the check is performed from various end-points but also the site loading/response speed can vary significantly from point to point. For example: your site might be blazing fast for you but a bit slow(ish) for me when I'm checking it from my current location in the other part of the world. In such cases, implementing a CDN - such as e.g. CloudFlare - can help a lot. Checking site performance from various locations is something worth doing and can be done e.g. with Pingdom Tools online.

That said, I realize that's a bit "general" response but I hope it'll give you some idea on how this works and what might be happening. Consider these things please and if it turns out any further investigation is required on our end (or you have any any additional questions) just let me know, please, and I'll be ready to assist you :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• fazzz
    • New Recruit

After the server reboot it's ok for some time, but then WPMUDEV uptime-plugin sends me letters "is offline" and "is online" pretty often. It's very annoying but it's actually bad for business, you know.

But I don't want to just add some RAM to my VPS which is now 1GB RAM. I want to find out what is wrong and fix it. :slight_smile:

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi fazzz,

I had a look at your site and it loads fine for me but when I run a test on uptrends tool there were around a dozen locations that took over 20 seconds to load your site.

So these times are quite high and if there's some more load on your server and it brings those time even higher and goes over 30 seconds Uptime will report your site as down.

You should be able to get more information about those loading times from your server logs, but if you want to check 500 errors you should be able to get info about that from the WP debug logs.
    You can enable debug log in your wp-config.php file (located in root WP folder) by replacing define('WP_DEBUG', false); with this code:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set( 'log_errors', 1 );
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

Once the 500 error happens this should create debug.log file in your wp-content folder that could tell us what is going on.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.