Basic activate question: Membership plugin won't activate

I have an existing self-hosted WP site, and uploaded the full Membership plugin to the plugins folder.

When I go to activate the plugin, it tells me that there is a "fatal error." I remember seeing somewhere that with an existing WP site you have to do something BEFORE you activate plugin, but I can't find this info anywhere now. It isn't in the manual and I can't find it online.

• PC

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

I have an existing self-hosted WP site, and uploaded the full Membership plugin to the plugins folder.

When I go to activate the plugin, it tells me that there is a "fatal error." I remember seeing somewhere that with an existing WP site you have to do something BEFORE you activate plugin, but I can't find this info anywhere now. It isn't in the manual and I can't find it online.

Can you please tell me the error message which is appearing ?

Did you previously use Membership lite ? If yes, have you removed that plugin ?

Please advise.

Cheers, PC

• aliyah_marr

My steps so far:

1. I did have Membership lite and removed it before trying to activate plugin.
    2. I reported the fatal error to my host.
    3. They were able to replicate the error.
    4. I upgraded my version of WP to the latest version 3.5.1 (after backing up website)
    5. I had the host upgrade my php memory limit to 64 MB (from 16)
    6. The host (startLogic) did an evaluation of problem and told me to contact you, delete the plugin.

TODAY
    7. I deleted the plugin (from within the WP Admin).
    8. I re-uploaded the plugin (ftp)
    9. I tried to activate it and got the same FATAL ERROR message:

Warning: require_once(membershipincludes/classes/class.membership.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /hermes/bosoraweb181/b2115/sl.radi8org/public_html/parallelmindzz/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershippremium.php on line 41

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'membershipincludes/classes/class.membership.php' (include_path='.:disappointed:usr/local/lib/php-5.2.17/lib/php') in /hermes/bosoraweb181/b2115/sl.radi8org/public_html/parallelmindzz/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershippremium.php on line 41

• Please note: I have several domains inside the radi8.org site folder. This is the way my web host service works. I wonder if this may be causing the problem?

• Also, I remember reading somewhere that some action was needed before installing the Membership plugin, but I cannot find this info anywhere.

• aliyah_marr

Clarification on last note: the site I want the Membership plugin to be in (parallelmindzz.com) is in a folder INSIDE the main site (radi8.org). This has never been a problem with any other plugin, but I thought I would mention it. When you look at the url above you can see the nesting path:

/hermes/bosoraweb181/b2115/sl.radi8org/public_html/parallelmindzz/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershippremium.php

• PC

Hello @aliyah_marr

Greetings and thanks for standing by on this one. Sorry for the delay as I was away for sometime.

The same issue was fixed here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-plugin-causes-a-fatal-error-upon-installation-and-activation#post-359646

Can you please try and follow that post once and do the steps as advised by Barry to see if that fixes the issue for you ?

Please advise.

Cheers, PC

• aliyah_marr

I tried the first effort which was to comment out line 41 in the code. I was able to upload and get into the membership plugin, but it made my whole site crash!

Your link to the former resolution of this same problem is very confusing, as there are several tries to resolve the problem, and I am not sure which try was successful, and which former efforts it was built upon. Also, it looks like he gave her some custom code:

require_once('/hermes/bosweb/web182/b1820/ipw.michelevalencia/public_html/michele/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/class.membership.php');

Please give me a fresh step-by-step resolution of this problem ASAP.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.