Basic Help - How Do I Display Shortcodes ?

Hi All.
Hope we all had a great Christmas break.

I need a little real basic help getting shortcodes to work on my wp site.

I have a lot of posts on the site. Now in one particular page I would like to display all posts which contain a particular tag and here's what I am doing:

[display-posts tag="fashion" include_excerpt="true" posts_per_page="-1" include_date="true" orderby="date"]

Where do I place the about code ?
I have placed it directly in the visual editor of the page and the website simply displays the code not the posts containing the tag.

I have tried placing it in the HTML of the page...same result.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance for your patience and help.

• sdlx

BOOM !

Thanks Ari.

However - this now has produced another issue:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/xxxxx/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 433

(my site is running pretty slow on the wp-admin backend)

I take a look in that file and this is on line 433:

$pee = preg_replace("/\n\n+/", "\n\n", $pee); // take care of duplicates

Any ideas ?

I would potentially look for another plugin but I think the performance issues with the back end of my site is the real problem here rather than the plugin.

• aristath

Hello again @ste,

I'm glad could help, and thank you for the rep points, I really appreciate it!

Could you please grant us access to your backend so that we may see exactly what is happening?
    To do so, from your dashboard go to WPMUDEV => Support => Support Access and click on the "Grant access" button.

Please note that you must have the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin installed on your site to complete the above process.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• aristath

Hello again!

I logged-in on your site today and took a look at your installed plugins, settings etc.
    This is probably due to your server's configuration... from what I can tell this is on a cheap hostgator shared hosting account, am I correct?
    Could you please install this plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/p3-profiler/ and run its profiler?
    That should tell us if one of your plugins or your theme is causing an issue performance-wise on your site...

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Michelle Shull

Hi, Ste!

It looks like support access has expired, but I have some hints and tips on getting a site with an unruly BuddyPress installation under control. :slight_smile:

1. Make a big pot of coffee and find/delete any spam accounts. Spammers love BuddyPress, and they really love BuddyPress groups, where they can post 10k words worth of links to cheap handbags. They will also, over time, bring your site to a crawl, because they're hogging valuable space on your database.
    2. Clean out your plugins folder like you would your closet. Ask yourself three questions. Do I need it? Do I use it? Do I love it? If you don't answer yes to two of the three, let it go, as the song says.
    3. Make sure you don't have any script errors. Visit your site in Chrome, right click anywhere on one of your pages, and select "inspect element." A console will appear at the bottom of your browser, and the bottom panel of this console is an error reporting tool. Any text in red may be an error.
    4. Optimize your database! This is actually, to me, really fun. YMMV. You can use a plugin, or you can log in to PHPMyAdmin and do it right from the database interface itself. That's a bit scary if you're a beginner, using a plugin is fine here. Optimizing your DB means removing all the junk you don't need, all at the same time, and regular DB optimization can keep your site running smooth.
    5. Lock it down! The final step is keeping the riff-raff out, by making sure your registration process is as unfriendly to spambots as it can be. That's often a matter of trial and error, finding the right tools and tricks that work for your particular needs, and the needs of the users you want to come to your site, will take a little research and planning.

After all this, if you're still getting timeout errors, we may need to take a closer look at your wp-config file, to make sure all your settings are maximized. I'd like you to send me some info via contact form, if that's okay?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Subject: "Attn: Michelle Shull"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Thanks, Ste! Let me know here in the thread if you send in the info, so I know to go claim it. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.