basic login/registration problem

Have set up WPMS via subdomain option. Can create a new site no problem. Can also create a user via the network dashboard but I see no option to assign the new user an access level - subscriber, author etc. Can delete this user with no problems subsequently.

Next - in Network Admin I have allowed new user registration in Settings (though not at this stage new user site creation).

When I register a test new user via the main site (the sub site redirects to the main site registration) I get the activation and confirmation emails. All seems OK, but the second email directs me to: http://mainsite.com/wp-login.php. Following this link allows me to log in with the new user name & password but does not show the site itself - it simply takes me to a dashboard.

When I delete this new user via the network dashboard, it deletes it accordingly and also deletes it from wp_users in phpmyadmin in CPanel. BUT I cannot re-register the same user name and email address via the main site - I get an error message that the name/email address is taken and to try back in 2 days.

Tried registering a second test user with different username/email address - but now the activation & confirmation emails do not arrive.

Where am I going wrong?

• Philip John

Hiya!

Can also create a user via the network dashboard but I see no option to assign the new user an access level

Are you adding a new user in network admin? Roles are site-specific so you need to apply the role when you add a user to a site, not when you create the user in network admin.

Following this link allows me to log in with the new user name & password but does not show the site itself - it simply takes me to a dashboard.

Yep, that's the default behaviour. You'll need to use the login redirect if you want to change that behaviour.

Tried registering a second test user with different username/email address - but now the activation & confirmation emails do not arrive.

Are you sure they're not caught by a filter?

Thanks,
    Phil

• pxjenkins

HI Phil,

Many thanks for your reply.

1. Are you adding a new user in network admin? Roles are site-specific so you need to apply the role when you add a user to a site, not when you create the user in network admin.

Yes - I did add one user in Network admin. If I wish to add this user - and define roles - across dozens of sites is there a way to do this quickly? Also, does the fact that the user has been created in network admin give them any access to the network settings/admin dashboard? Would it cause cant issues down the line if I install something like buddy press?

2. Yep, that's the default behaviour. You'll need to use the login redirect if you want to change that behaviour.

Forgive my ignorance, but where do I set up the login redirect? I cannot see it either in Settings for network admin or in the individual site Settings.

3. Are you sure they're not caught by a filter?

Which filter could this be? Where would I amend it? What is driving me a little nuts right now is that the registration emails do not arrive AND I cannot seem to delete a user from WP's database on my host (bluehost). phpmyadmin wp_users shows no record of the deleted user, nor does the network admin, but wpms will not allow me to re-use the username or email address associated with it; says that I must wait 2 days! Where could this user info be stored if not in phpmyadmin wp_users?

Thanks!

PS I see you tried to help another with a similar issue on bluehost a few months back - https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/email-not-being-sent
    Might my case be similar?

• pxjenkins

going through the phpmyadmin tables, I just saw that the two test users I created through http://mainsite.com/wp-login.php are both present in the wp_signups table even though neither of them are present in the wp_users table (nor in wp_usermeta). As per above posts, I deleted the first test user in the network admin, and the second test user never got confirmation emails as per posts above. But the info on both of them persist in the wp_signups table.

Also - In the wp_signups table - the first test user, that did get emails, has the correct date/time of activation in the "activated" column of the table. The second test user, which never received emails, has "0000-00-00 00:00:00" showing in the activation column. I followed the fact same procedure to create both test users, i.e. register through http://www.mainsite.com which redirects to http://mainsite.com/wp-login.php sign-up form.

By the way, there are no signs of these two test users in the wp_registration_log of phpmyadmin.

When I create a new user via network admin, the user shows (with correct "user registered" info, in the wp_users and wp_usermeta tables but NOT in the wp_registration_log or wp_signups.

what fault(s) either in my wpms setup or at the host end do these tables indicate please?
    will deleting these test users from the wp_signups table in phpmyadmin solve anything?

I have no plugins active, not even wpmuupdates.

Thanks!

• pxjenkins

error_log in my root directors shows the message as below. But NB the test users were created yesterday, i.e. after the date of these error messages..

[15-Jan-2012 12:03:23] PHP Warning: require(./wp-blog-header.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home1/pauljenk/public_html/index.php on line 17
    [15-Jan-2012 12:03:23] PHP Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required './wp-blog-header.php' (include_path='.:disappointed:usr/lib64/php:disappointed:usr/lib/php:disappointed:usr/share/pear') in /home1/pauljenk/public_html/index.php on line 17
    [15-Jan-2012 12:06:25] PHP Warning: require(./wp-blog-header.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home1/pauljenk/public_html/index.php on line 17
    [15-Jan-2012 12:06:25] PHP Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required './wp-blog-header.php' (include_path='.:disappointed:usr/lib64/php:disappointed:usr/lib/php:disappointed:usr/share/pear') in /home1/pauljenk/public_html/index.php on line 17
    [15-Jan-2012 12:06:25] PHP Warning: require(./wp-blog-header.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home1/pauljenk/public_html/index.php on line 17
    [15-Jan-2012 12:06:25] PHP Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required './wp-blog-header.php' (include_path='.:disappointed:usr/lib64/php:disappointed:usr/lib/php:disappointed:usr/share/pear') in /home1/pauljenk/public_html/index.php on line 17
    [15-Jan-2012 12:10:26] PHP Warning: require(./wp-blog-header.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home1/pauljenk/public_html/index.php on line 17
    [15-Jan-2012 12:10:26] PHP Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required './wp-blog-header.php' (include_path='.:disappointed:usr/lib64/php:disappointed:usr/lib/php:disappointed:usr/share/pear') in /home1/pauljenk/public_html/index.php on line 17
    [15-Jan-2012 12:10:27] PHP Warning: require(./wp-blog-header.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home1/pauljenk/public_html/index.php on line 17
    [15-Jan-2012 12:10:27] PHP Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required './wp-blog-header.php' (include_path='.:disappointed:usr/lib64/php:disappointed:usr/lib/php:disappointed:usr/share/pear') in /home1/pauljenk/public_html/index.php on line 17
    [15-Jan-2012 14:06:30] PHP Warning: require_once(/home1/pauljenk/public_html/wp-load.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home1/pauljenk/public_html/wp-blog-header.php on line 12
    [15-Jan-2012 14:06:30] PHP Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home1/pauljenk/public_html/wp-load.php' (include_path='.:disappointed:usr/lib64/php:disappointed:usr/lib/php:disappointed:usr/share/pear') in /home1/pauljenk/public_html/wp-blog-header.php on line 12
    [15-Jan-2012 14:06:30] PHP Warning: require_once(/home1/pauljenk/public_html/wp-load.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home1/pauljenk/public_html/wp-blog-header.php on line 12
    [15-Jan-2012 14:06:30] PHP Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home1/pauljenk/public_html/wp-load.php' (include_path='.:disappointed:usr/lib64/php:disappointed:usr/lib/php:disappointed:usr/share/pear') in /home1/pauljenk/public_html/wp-blog-header.php on line 12
    [15-Jan-2012 14:09:00] PHP Warning: require_once(/home1/pauljenk/public_html/wp-load.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home1/pauljenk/public_html/wp-blog-header.php on line 12
    [15-Jan-2012 14:09:00] PHP Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home1/pauljenk/public_html/wp-load.php' (include_path='.:disappointed:usr/lib64/php:disappointed:usr/lib/php:disappointed:usr/share/pear') in /home1/pauljenk/public_html/wp-blog-header.php on line 12
    [15-Jan-2012 14:09:01] PHP Warning: require_once(/home1/pauljenk/public_html/wp-load.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home1/pauljenk/public_html/wp-blog-header.php on line 12
    [15-Jan-2012 14:09:01] PHP Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home1/pauljenk/public_html/wp-load.php' (include_path='.:disappointed:usr/lib64/php:disappointed:usr/lib/php:disappointed:usr/share/pear') in /home1/pauljenk/public_html/wp-blog-header.php on line 12

• Philip John

If I wish to add this user - and define roles - across dozens of sites is there a way to do this quickly?

I'm not aware of a way to do that in bulk, no. There might be a plugin for it, though.

Also, does the fact that the user has been created in network admin give them any access to the network settings/admin dashboard?

Yes, to manage their profile.

Would it cause cant issues down the line if I install something like buddy press?

I'm not sure what issues you mean? BuddyPress uses the user table, just like any other plugin...

Forgive my ignorance, but where do I set up the login redirect?

You can use this plugin: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/login-redirect

Which filter could this be? Where would I amend it?

I was referring to an e-mail filter which could be in your e-mail software, your e-mail administrator's software, at your ISP or anywhere along the path from your site to your inbox.

what fault(s) either in my wpms setup or at the host end do these tables indicate please?

They aren't faults - they just show that a user has signed up whether their account has been activated or not.

Thansk

• pxjenkins

Hi Phil,

Many thanks for your latest response and login-redirect plugin suggestion.
    But surely having to manually add users to sites will be very labour intensive on a busy site?

the latest on my testing!...

at Mason's suggestion on live chat I tried the gmail method to set up two more test users. Things seems better, for some inexplicable reason. This is the behaviour I'm seeing:

user1 created via Network Admin - all ok with registration and emails and login. Shows in network admin. In phpmyadmin shows in wp_users ok; no record in wp_usermeta, wp_signups or wp_registration_log

user2 created via signup on main site - registration, emails and login seem to work ok. Shows in network admin. In phpmyadmin shows in wp_users and wp_signups ok; no records created in wp_usermeta or wp_registration_log

no errors being reported in the errors_log in root folder on host.

My question now is: Is this behaviour in the phpmyadmin tables usual at this stage in the shoe, process of creating WPMS, or should I be seeing different results? Can I proceed with installing themes, plugins, BP etc with confidence?

• Philip John

But surely having to manually add users to sites will be very labour intensive on a busy site?

You might want to look at using Batch Create to see whether that would suit your specific needs.

I wouldn't expect user1 to have much in the wp_usermeta table anyway because they're not assigned to any site.

I would expect user2 to show info in wp_usermeta though. Do you see user2 listed in the Users page in the sub-site dashboard?

Are you actually seeing anything in WordPress behaviour that is other than it should be?

Thanks,
    Phil

• pxjenkins

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the suggestion on Batch Create. I guess with one all-in-one plugin Batch Create basically replaces 'Multisite User Management', 'Simple Import Users' and 'Simple User Admin' plugins?
    By the way, is there any reason why Login Redirect would not function with 'Login Configurator' which I have installed?..

Re the users - I think I have finally cracked it using the Google email method as a testbed! :slight_smile:
    Basically the problem was a combination of my ignorance/inexperience, and something weird happening when I was using my .mac email aliases as test user email addresses. Plus the host being somewhat slow to send emails methinks..
    The wp_usermeta anomaly was also my fault! I didn't read forward to the different pages within wp_usermeta.
    That's what too many hours of trying to master WPMS from scratch does to one! :slight_smile:...

So, on the user/registration issue I think matter is resolved; pending an attempt in the next few days to install BP...:slight_smile:
    And I'm still trying to work out why when I create a home page as New Page, no permalink is assigned and two 'Homes' appear on the site page...

Best, and many thanks for your continuing good support,
    Paul

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.