Basic Membership Setup

Sorry if this seems like a newbie question. I've read through the manual for the membership plugin and I swear I thought I had it down but UGH... still no luck.

I'm simply trying to setup a private page for members only that contains numerous tutorials and documentation. I have three categories I'm trying to do it with. Nutrition and Garden and one for all access without giving out administrator privileges..

So if you are logged in as a Nutrition Member you see a Nutrition item on the main menu which takes you to a specific directory of links.

So far I've created Access Level for each, as well as subscriptions to each, but I think somewhere along the line I'm not setting up the access level correctly. This is probably one of the most important sites I've been asked to build and it's stressing me out.

Any help very welcomed. Thanks!!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings wayoutwest,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Perhaps you should consider using the URL groups feature to control access to different areas using negative and positive rules.

That is the piece of the puzzle that seems to be missing going by the description you gave.

Please advise if using URL groups gives you the level control over the areas that you need.

Cheers, Joe

• wayoutwest
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks aecnu,

After about 2-3 hours of searching and trying to decipher a tutorial I found on another thread I sort of got it figured out but assigning pages and categories. It's still a little cloogy but seems to be working.

Issue I'm trying to sort out now is creating a custom login screen so my members aren't forwarded to the wp dashboard. I created the pages suggested in the tutorial, but still not 100% clear.

This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for just didn't realize it'd be so powerful that I'd I have to go back to school to set it up. :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings wayoutwest,

I hear you there and thank you for the additional info.

Here is the solution I believe you are looking for:

To override any of the pages generated by membership with your own you can easily define the following in your wp-config

MEMBERSHIP_ACCOUNT_FORM
    MEMBERSHIP_REGISTRATION_FORM
    MEMBERSHIP_SUBSCRIPTION_FORM
    MEMBERSHIP_MEMBER_FORM
    MEMBERSHIP_UPGRADE_FORM
    MEMBERSHIP_RENEW_FORM
    MEMBERSHIP_PAYMENT_FORM

using ('MEMBERSHIP_****_FORM','/full/server/path/to/file/');

That should get you going in the direction you want now.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.