Basic multisite setup help (with membership subscriptions)

I have the general multisite setup working just fine. However, I need to have subscriptions/memberships and this seems to make things super complicated. The website is basically an event site with subsites for each region we hold events in. I want members to register on the site and choose a membership level - free or paid level. Ideally, I'd like the members to also let me know which city is the primary location and what other cities they would like to be notified about for upcoming events.

Currently, I'm told the only way to do this is to register first. Then have a separate process to subscribe. Once subscribed, there is no upgrade/downgrade ability. The member has to unsubscribe completely. Then resubscribe for a new subscription.

This sounds overly complicated to me and not likely what my members are going to put up with. Isn't there a simple way to manage registration with subscription levels?

I'm eager to get a solution and need the help badly. Let me know what you guys think and if anyone knows how to streamline this process so my users will actually want to be part of the community.

Thanks!
Tom

• thoward

Barry,
    I have a developer helping and we are trying to figure this out. Here is where we are so far - http://technolo.co/geekmeet

I'm not sure if we are going about this correctly or not anymore. The process is very complicated right now. I'm also trying to figure out if we can protect content in subsites based on a single membership process. (so if I set up membership rules in one subsite will it work across to the other subsites? no way to set them network wide that I can fine.)

Hopefully when you see where we are you can understand where we are trying to go with this.

Thanks!
    Tom

• DavidM

Membership can be setup on a global/network basis, but it's a complex task for one thing, and not everything works as you would think using it (ie. page ids won't be the same across sites).

More than that, you would end up losing all your current Membership settings in the process, or more precisely, you would have to re-create your Membership levels, subscriptions, etc.

If you'd like to consider that option, there's a value for it in membershipincludes/includes/membership-config.php as follows:
    if(!defined('MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES')) define( 'MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES', false);

You can set that global tables value to 'true' to enable global tables. You'll also have to deactivate Membership, delete the m_installed option within your wp-options table, then reactivate Membership again in order for it to create and utilize the global tables.

Cheers,
    David