Basic Setup: Setting Access Level by Post Categories, add 2 Access Levels to a User and they can&#03

Hello, here's my scenario

Clean and latest Wordpress install, default theme, only Membership plugin installed

Given there is a Post titled "Basic Questions" under Category "Novice" and a Post titled "Extended Examples" under Category "Intermediate"
And I have set up an Access Level "Novice" and set access by Category to "Novice"
And I have setup an Access Level "Intermediate" and set access by Category to "Intermediate"
Then when I create a user and give them Access Levels "Novice" and "Intermediate" and I sign in with that user
Then I should be able to see Categories "Novice" and "Intermediate" and I should be able to see Posts "Basic Questions" and "Extended Examples"

Actual Results:
The User is able to see the Post Titles, but when I click on the titles to view the actual article, I am redirected to the Protected Content Page.

Additional Information:
1. Removing one Access Level allows viewing of the actual post page of the other
2. I use Categories rather than the Posts themselves when setting Access Level because there is a note that only the most recent 25 entries are shown and on the real site I would deploy this to there is already more than 100 entries.

Thanks for the help,
Tony

• aecnu

Greetings Tony,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

How can I be of assistance?

I cannot quite figure out what you are trying to tell us?

The one thing I will ask is have you made your "Stranger" level yet?

Sorry that I do not have more input at the moment but as I mentioned there is not a direct question and I have not been able to figure out what it is exactly that you are trying to do.

Please include a URL too if you will so that I can see what you are doing - get a visual.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• sweethockey

Hi Joe,

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I gave the scenario:

how I've setup my Categories, Posts, and Access Levels.
    how I've created a TestUser, and given it the 2 Access Levels (Novice and Intermediate).
    I've outlined what I expect to happen based on this setup: That I should be able to see BOTH posts (each one associated to each access level).
    And I've described what actually happens: I can see the title of both posts from the home page when when I'm logged in as the TestUser BUT when I click on the link it sends me to the protected content page.

The question is, why is it behaving this way?

To answer your questions, Yes, I've setup a stranger level. I've attempted to meet the minimum amount of setup, but have followed all the steps in the quick start guide.

http://ohtwpmu.homezonehockey.com
    admin: testadmin/welcome1
    testuser: test/welcome1

• sweethockey

After a solid chat with S H Mohanjith on the support channel, he clarified a few things and made a few suggestions with regards to making my issues clearer for this forum thread.

First off, he's clarified that a user cannot have multiple access levels associated to it. That wasn't clear to me in the read-through of the pluggin documentation, it should be emphasized that this is the case.

Second, he stressed that I should include screenshots of my setup, so this is what I'll do here.
    - I have 2 Access Levels, Novice 1 and Novice 2 (Access Levels screenshot)
    - On the Novice 2 Access Levels, I've given it access to Novice and Intermediate Post Categories (Novice 2 Access Level Positive Rules screenshot)
    - When I log in as my Test user (with Novice 2 Access Level), I can see both posts in the Categories as expected on the homepage (Logged in as Test with Access Level 2 screenshot),

The problem from here, is when I click on either of these posts, I am redirected to the Protected Content page. As additional information, The Novice 1 Access Level has only 1 Post Category associated to it and, when I click the post title for a Test user with the Novice 1 Access Level, I AM able to get to the post.

Any help would be appreciated, and any suggestions on more screenshots will be addressed.
    Thanks again,

• aecnu

Greetings sweethockey,

Thank you for the additional information, it is greatly appreciated as it helps tremendously in our efforts to resolve any issues.

What I am curious to know before digging any deeper, is from what I can tell from your testing --> you tested level 1 first. Then you went and tested level two directly? Is there any chance that you cleared the browser cookies before proceeding to the level two test?

The reason why I am asking is it is possible that you were still cookied as a level 1 member causing this effect.

Please advise.

• aecnu

Greetings sweethockey,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.