Batch Create Worked, But Not How I Expected

Greetings,

Well, I must say that Batch Create might be the coolest thing since sliced bread. That said, although it created 200 sites in less than one minute, they are all configured as mydomain/newsite as opposed to newsite.mydomain. I did not see any reference to choosing the desired method.

Please tell me where I went wrong. :slight_smile:

Cheers. - Frank

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Big Frank, hope you're doing well this evening! :slight_smile:

Is your site set up as a subdomain or a subdirectory based Multisite? Would it be possible to attach the file that you used to create the subsites on the network?

If you'd rather send it in privately, could you please do so as follows:

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Michael Bissett
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include the import .xls/.csv file used for importing
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

And could you enable Support Access to your Multisite, so that we can have a closer look at what's going on here?

Please advise,
    Michael

• Ash

Hello @Big Frank

I hope you are well today.

Your multisite is subfolder based, not subdomain based. That's why the batch created all sites as subfolder.

Subdomain: newsite.yourdomain.com
    Subfolder/Subdirectory: yourdomain.com/newsite

If you don't have much content in your site and possible for you redo, I would recommend to create the multisite again as subdomain based.

Otherwise, you can try to convert this subfolder multisite in to a subdomain multisite.

To do so, you need to replace the following in wp-config.php:

Replace:

define('MULTISITE', true);
    define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', false);
    define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'bestofvinelandnj.com');
    define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/');
    define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
    define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);

with

define('MULTISITE', true);
    define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', true);
    define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'bestofvinelandnj.com');
    define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/');
    define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
    define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);

Then replace your current .htaccess with the following:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^wp-admin$ wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*\.php)$ wp/$1 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

And finally, the important part is to create a wildcard subdomain in your cpanel. This is easy though, you need to create a subdomain called * (asterisk) (*.yoursite.com) and point to yoursite.com (maybe public_html) folder. And you are done.

Here are some tutorials on multisite:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wordpress-multisite/
    http://wpmu.org/wordpress-multisite-guide/
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/wordpress-wordpress-mu-and-wordpress-multisite/
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network
    http://mashable.com/2012/07/26/beginner-guide-wordpress-multisite/

Once you install subdomain based multisite, batch create plugin will create all subsites as newsite.yoursite.com

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• Big Frank

Greetings Ash,

Thanks so much for your assistance. I understand everything you have said. The problem is that when I install WordPress through my cPanel, using Softalucious, while it does ask me if I want to create a Multisite install, nowhere along the way does it ask if I want to use subdomains. I simply cannot find the option to implement that feature.

I have already created the wildcard subdomain, so that is not an issue.

There is nothing on the site, so I will attempt to insert the code that you have provided. I will let you know how that goes. :slight_smile:

Thanks, again.

Cheers. - Frank

P.S. Any idea where to find the option to create a subdomain based Multisite during installation? I have scoured the page but cannot see it.

• Ash

Hello @Big Frank

I hope you are well today.

I'm assuming that it has something to do with using a 'one-click' installer for the installation.

Well, using one click installer is not recommend at all. There could be lots of issue in a one click installed wordpress site.

Most of the bloggers just maintain a simple blog so usually they don’t need to worry. They just need to keep a regular backup. But if you are planning to run a business site in wordpress and if that site is your everything, never ever use one click installer to install wordpress! You’d be better off installing it manually which may take you a few minutes longer to install :slight_smile:

Why you shouldn’t?
    1. Big WordPress Security Risks
    2. Exporting and importing content with WordPress’s built in export tools
    3. They use old scripts. Updated versions of WordPress or any script are not immediately released on those services. They install an outdated version of WordPress. It’s not a good start with outdated one.
    4. They bypasses almost all settings used for installing
    5. Sometimes it has issues while you want to upgrade.
    6. Suppose first created database is wpdb1 and the next one is wpdb2 and so on. Malicious hackers know this is how they’re created and it gives them more ammo.
    7. Created a file named fantversion.php (or something similar), which is common for all auto installers. This is a security risk if crackers know how to break into it.
    8. The auto created database name and the database username is same in most cases.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• Big Frank

Greetings Ash,

Thanks for your response. Sorry for my tardy reply. :slight_smile:

I appreciate your info and will never use a 1-click installer, again.

1. I use a high-end security plugin, so I'm hoping that will not be an issue.

2. Not something I have ever done, nor do I know if I would ever have an occasion to do so.

3. Fortunately it installed the latest version and includes auto-update.

4. I see that, now. lol

5. Got it.

6. I add a prefix to my DB via the security plugin.

7. The plugin combats any writing to any .php files. Hopefully that will suffice.

8. Fortunately, not in this instance.

I have successfully installed and edited over 250 sites at the moment and have never been happier at the level of accomplishment that I feel.

That said, I could not have done it without you guys. :slight_smile: Keep up the good work. I know that everyone appreciates it. I hope they do, anyway.

Cheers. - Frank

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.