Batch Created sites do not appear

Hello,

Thank you for your Batch Create plugin.

I tried a very simple test batch create.

1. I ran Batch Create on a WPMU install with two existing subsites.

2. I read and re-read the (rather thin) usage instructions on the Batch Create page.

3. I read and (mostly) understood the test.XLS file headers.

4. I cleared out the sample data from the test.XLS file.

5. I added two urls and corresponding site titles to the test.xls file.

- a. MainDomain.com/subsite1, subsite1 title

- b. MainDomain.com/subsite2, subsite2 title

6. I only wanted to test adding two sites and no users. So I did not add users to the file.

7. I uploaded the test.XLS file, selected "This file has a header row," and moved forward with the processing.

8. When it was completed I looked at the log and it does not say "Blog Created" anywhere--so I don't know what happened.

9. When I go to the Network Admin Sites page the two new sites were not added to the WPMU Network. I refreshed the page to be certain.

Here is the log file with my domain names removed:

###########################################

2012-12-01 20:24:38 [debug] - --- Starting queue item processing ---
Blog name: [MainDomaincom/subsite1]
User name: []
2012-12-01 20:24:38 [debug] - User does NOT exists. Creating a new user
2012-12-01 20:24:38 [info] - There was an error creating a user
2012-12-01 20:24:38 [debug] - Blog name not empty (MainDomaincom/subsite1)
2012-12-01 20:24:38 [debug] - Blog (MainDomaincom/subsite1) does NOT already exist
2012-12-01 20:24:38 [debug] - --- Queue item processing finished ---

2012-12-01 20:24:39 [debug] - --- Starting queue item processing ---
Blog name: [MainDomaincom/subsite2]
2012-12-01 20:24:39 [debug] - User does NOT exists. Creating a new user
2012-12-01 20:24:39 [info] - There was an error creating a user
2012-12-01 20:24:39 [debug] - Blog name not empty (MainDomaincom/subsite2)
2012-12-01 20:24:39 [debug] - Blog (MainDomaincom/subsite2) does NOT already exist
2012-12-01 20:24:39 [debug] - --- Queue item processing finished ---

2012-12-01 20:24:40 [debug] - --- Starting queue item processing ---
Blog name: []
2012-12-01 20:24:40 [debug] - User does NOT exists. Creating a new user
2012-12-01 20:24:40 [info] - There was an error creating a user
2012-12-01 20:24:40 [debug] - Blog title is empty! Blog will NOT be created
2012-12-01 20:24:40 [debug] - --- Queue item processing finished ---

###########################################

Note: I double checked the XLS file and there is no extra data that would cause the third section.

Thank you for your help.

Warmest,

Chris

• anotheropus

I ran it again.

This time I did not use the .com after my domain names.

In the instructions it gives the examples (on the page: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/batch-create/ ), and in the XLS file headings:

Site Name

The name of the site you want created or the user added to (if that site already exists).

If you do not want the user to have a site, please set this to ‘null’ without the quotation marks.

This will be part of the URL for the site (ex. site_name.myblogs.org or myblogs.org/site_name)

You can only use lowercase letters and numbers in site URLs (site address). Dots, underscore , characters and spaces in sites URLs aren’t allowed.

So it's funny, the example from the page (which, again is also in the XLS file), shows domain names with extensions site_name.myblogs.org, and with subdirectories myblogs.org/site_name. I tried it that way the first time.

The second time I read closer and followed the advice in the fourth bullet (which conflicts with the examples), "Dots, underscore , characters and spaces in sites URLs aren’t allowed."

So with or without dots and extensions, or front slashes and subdirectories the plugin failed to work out of the box two times.

Here is my most recent log file:

2012-12-01 21:11:24 [debug] - --- Starting queue item processing ---
    Blog name: [subsite3]
    2012-12-01 21:11:24 [debug] - User does NOT exists. Creating a new user
    2012-12-01 21:11:24 [info] - There was an error creating a user
    2012-12-01 21:11:24 [debug] - Blog name not empty (subsite3)
    2012-12-01 21:11:24 [debug] - Blog (subsite3) does NOT already exist
    2012-12-01 21:11:24 [debug] - --- Queue item processing finished ---

2012-12-01 21:11:25 [debug] - --- Starting queue item processing ---
    Blog name: [subsite4]
    2012-12-01 21:11:25 [debug] - User does NOT exists. Creating a new user
    2012-12-01 21:11:25 [info] - There was an error creating a user
    2012-12-01 21:11:25 [debug] - Blog name not empty (subsite4)
    2012-12-01 21:11:25 [debug] - Blog (subsite4) does NOT already exist
    2012-12-01 21:11:25 [debug] - --- Queue item processing finished ---

2012-12-01 21:11:26 [debug] - --- Starting queue item processing ---
    Blog name: []
    2012-12-01 21:11:26 [debug] - User does NOT exists. Creating a new user
    2012-12-01 21:11:26 [info] - There was an error creating a user
    2012-12-01 21:11:26 [debug] - Blog title is empty! Blog will NOT be created
    2012-12-01 21:11:26 [debug] - --- Queue item processing finished ---

It's not fun anymore. I feel like a QA person now and It would have been nice if something worked.

Warmest,

Christopher

BTW I've tried both of the batch/bulk site creator plugins and they both fail and fall into the "too good to be true" category. I've got lots of subsites to add and these are a dream...if they'll work.

The framework here at WPMUDEV is amazing. Installing and updating plugins is more efficient than almost everything going on in the web world, and big Google and Microsoft are actually light years behind WPMUDEV in "the framework function and usability" arena. But some of the plugins now seem to fall through the cracks.

I'm hosting this setup on the host I use (and HIGHLY recommend) GreenGeeks. So the hosting has never been an issue, WPMU is not an issue, and WPMUDEV is amazing... I would just love to get one of these batch/bulk WPMU subsite installers to work :slight_smile:

Thank you to anyone who can help me here! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

• Sue

Hi Chris

There is a couple of reasons why you are having trouble.

All sites you create must be attached to a user and you can't process a site without associating it with a user.

The easiest solution is to create the new sites attached to your admin user. To do this you just need to add the username, email address attached to the admin user and assign the role administrator.

The second issue is your site URL. If you wanted to create http//myblogs.org/site_name then in the first column you add site_name only.

For example, if I was creating the blog on Edublogs.org using batch create I would have: suewaters, Sue Waters Blog, suewaters, leave password blank (since am existing user), suewater@gmail.com, administrator. This will create http://suewaters.edublogs.org attached to existing username suewaters with the role administrator.

Please note Blog & User creator works the same way. You only add the site name not the full URL.

We're always happy to check you've set up your batch create file correctly. Please feel free to upload your batch create file and we'll check it for you.

Thanks!

Sue Waters
    Edublogs Support Manager

• anotheropus

SUE! :slight_smile:

Thank you for this answer as well. THREE Questions...

1. Where can I send the XLS file for review so it is kept confidential?

2. And, I've manually added several of the 100+ subsites I need to add, if I have those in the XLS file will there be any issue with the duplicates?

3. You indicate, "This will create http://suewaters.edublogs.org." I thought all subsites were added as subfolders of the main site. From this it seems that they do this but that WPMU resolves the subsite subfolders as subdomain names also!!! Is that true?

Thank you again for your help.

Warmest,

Chris

• anotheropus

Sue,

Thank you for your support of the parallel topics, Blog & User Creator plugin and this Batch Create plugin.

From these posts you and anyone can see that my goal is straightforward and I just want to add a whole lotta subsites to my main WPMU network install.

E.g.

MainDomain.com
    MainDomain.com/subsite1 (as subsite1.MainDomain.com <-- as I now see :slight_smile:
    MainDomain.com/subsite2
    MainDomain.com/subsite3

etc.

Which of these two cool plugins is the cleanest, easiest and most reliable way to accomplish this goal?

Blog & User Creator plugin?

or

Batch Create plugin?

Thank you,

Chris

• Sue

Hi Chris

Edublogs.org was set up as subdomain structure which is why I wrote it in this format. Sorry if it confused you.

Feel free to send the xls file to me privately by emailing me directly at support[at]edublogs[dot]org

Technically it should skip any blog you've already created. Personally I prefer while being processed.

I also prefer to process my batch create files in batches of maximum 100 blogs/accounts. Our Edublogs Campus clients often process higher numbers per batch but it does increase the chance you might have issues.

As a general rule I use Blog & User creator if I want to bulk create 1-30 blogs (or accounts) and Batch Create if I want to bulk create more than 30+blogs (or accounts),.

Thanks!

Sue Waters
    Edublogs Support Manager

• PC

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven't heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is "Not resolved" in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers
    PC