bbpress and BP and real forums

I have realized that my questions are getting more basic all the time! Feeling more like a beginner than I did when I began.

I have at last understood that the bbpress forum in buddypress is a specific adaptation with considerable feature reductions... and every single forum based upon a group. Further I have realized that bbpress itself is much more capable than this.

So to get specific
1 Can a full bbpress install and the buddypress version coexist?
2 If so how does this need to be set up
3 Does a full bbpress install give multisite capabilities where individual blogs can have their own forums?
4 Is theme integration going to be the nightmare that I suspect that it is (you don't have to answer this, what do you know about my nightmares! But hints might be helpful).

Thanks guys

• Philip John

Hiya!

This is going to be a little complicated as BuddyPress 1.5 and bbPress 2.0 which are due to be released soon will change the answers so I'll answer twice....

For BuddyPress 1.2.10 and bbPress 1.0.3;

Yep! bbPress is standalone so can sit alongside a WP+BP install

Simply install WP+BP as normal, then follow the instructions for bbPress

3 Does a full bbpress install give multisite capabilities where individual blogs can have their own forums?

No, bbPress isn't part of WordPress. If you want individual blogs, you need to use WordPress Multisite but you won't be able to give each blog it's own forum.

4 Is theme integration going to be the nightmare that I suspect that it is (you don't have to answer this, what do you know about my nightmares! But hints might be helpful).

You will need to provide two themes; one for WP+BP and another for bbPress. The two will be difficult to integrate so you'll probably need two copies.

For BuddyPress 1.5 and bbPress 2.0;

Yep, simply install both plugins just like any other in WordPress an activate. They will be automatically aware of each other.

If you want individual blogs, you need to use WordPress Multisite and I believe (I can't be certain) that you can allow each site to have it's own forum.

Both BuddyPress and bbPress will use the same theme you activate within WordPress, which can be any WordPress theme although one designed to work well with BP will be better.

Hope that helps and make sense!
    Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.