bbPress plugins taken from this site?

Hi all,

Im just wondering if you guys are going to release any of the functionality you have built into your bbPress forum here as plugins? Or if you already use plugins available somewhere?

Ive just switched to bbPress and although love the simplicity Id like some decent plugins to play about with.

For intsance you have your “Like” link on forum posts and the “Your activity” section in the sidebar. Im guessing these are built by you guys and not freely available elsewhere….any chance of getting my grubby mits on em?

Cheers

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

I would love for some of these options to be available myself.

The issue is that the modifications done here are for an almost archaic version of bbPress. You see we don’t use the plugin version, its the old standalone version.

So the short answer is that it won’t happen just yet. That said I know that James is keen on getting some of this stuff into a plugin which will work with multisite and seems that bbPress is a custom Post Type it should work there as well.

Take care.

• ThePath
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi Tim,

Well from a commercial point of view I reckon bbPress plugins could attract a lot more members here. There really isnt a huge amount of upto date bbPress extensions out there.

Ive just installed the 2.1 dev version of bbPress. Would love some more features.

Cheers

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

I could not agree more to be honest.

Its a great simplistic plugin. I think there could be more meat on the bone for some sites though. :slight_smile:

I’m currently moving data from a XOOPS CMS install to WordPress. The forum plugin was a little poor there but feature wise it had loads compared so it would be taking a backstep in terms of functionality which is unfortunate for me.

But ya, I agree and would love to see lots more. :slight_smile:

• ThePath
    • The Bug Hunter

Never heard of XOOPS before. Then again if its not WordPress I do a sharp intake of breath like a dodgy mechanic looking at your car.

If you want loads of functionailty and dont mind paying the you could use Simple Press. Its a really good forum but they have recently gone premium. Their support is good too.

Im currently transfering from simple press to bbPress. I think I will miss some of the features though bu the simplicity (and hopefully load times) are appealing.

Yeh Im pretty sure bbPress uses custom post types which should make developing easier. Also the table layout is gone in 2.1 yaaaaay.

I will route around for any decent plugins for bbPress that work. I know there are some handy lists on wpmu.org but there must be more.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

If you want loads of functionailty and dont mind paying the you could use Simple Press. Its a really good forum but they have recently gone premium. Their support is good too.

Not used it for a while, didn’t realise they went premium though. Was no good really for multisite so didn’t bother much with it.

Yeh Im pretty sure bbPress uses custom post types which should make developing easier. Also the table layout is gone in 2.1 yaaaaay.

Yup, three custom post types, forums, topic and replies. :slight_smile:

Let me know if you find anything cool.

Take care.

• ThePath
    • The Bug Hunter

I think Simple Press is making waves to interact better with multisite, to be honest Im not sure if its there yet.

Well as we were talking about transfering data you might find this topic interesting:

http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/feature-request-change-post-author

I managed to bodge together a solution which allows you to change the author to a subscriber for a bbpress custom post: topic.

That way if you have to port over data by hand you dont need to go into the DB and change the post authors in the fiddly phpMyadmin. You can just do it on the edit post screen.

Regarding plugins there are some decent ones for version 2.x on the WP plugin repository. And as usual Sarah has some nice lists:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/5-new-plugins-that-extend-the-bbpress-plugin-for-wordpress/

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/10-must-have-bbpress-plugins-for-wordpress/

The there is the dev4press guy selling a package of plugins: http://www.gdbbpbox.com/

For me a bit expensive, especially when I found free ones on the repoistory that do almost the same things for hte most part.

But guess what WPMU Dev……no like plugin. Could be an atrraction for new customers, not to mention a bonus for loyal faithfuls like me and Tim! :wink:

I did however find a location one: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress-topic-location/

On a side note Tim, where have my forum badges gone here…..I had more the other day? :slight_frown:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.