Before setting up a new theme, is it possible to save the existing one, in case I want to go back?

Hi, I am new to the site and new to wordpress. A few months ago, I paid for a wordpress website. I am note entirely satisfied with, so I want to try out the themes. Before doing that, I want to save everything I have, in case I have to go back to it, since I already pay for all that work. Hope you can help with it.

Thanks,

Jeymi

• Zyniker
    • WordPress Warrior

If you’re just switching themes, then you should be able to activate a new theme without any real effect on the current theme. If you do not like the new theme, you should be able to re-activate the old one and your settings should be restored.

However, it is usually best practice to conduct a backup before making any major adjustments or modifications to your site. If you’ve extensively modified your site, you should back everything up before making any changes so that you can restore the site to its original state if something goes wrong.

If, on the other hand, this is just a theme issue, you should be fine simply installing and activating a new theme.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Jeymi,

Welcome to WPMU DEV!

Zyniker is spot on once again and you should indeed make a full backup of both the site and the database with your hosting cPanel.

You may also want to institute specifically a database backup program like the Snapshot plugin as well.

However, just switching themes should not have any negative effect and you should be able to switch through them to no consequence.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.