Beginner or Expert These Discussions Will Benefit You

Hello and Welcome, as the title implies, no matter what your skill levels are at this time, these discussions can benefit you. Whether you offer advice or receive advice, you will benefit. Even if you offer or receive bad advice you will still benefit. Why, because wiser heads will inform the author and readers of any error(s) made and point them in the right direction without ridiculing or making fun of anyone. It is an environment that helps everyone to learn and improve their WP knowledge and management skills; isn’t that why we are all here?

Many of us were drawn to WPMU Dev because we were looking for themes, plugins, manuals or help with a specific problem and that ray of hope inspired us to sign up. I was excited about joining in 2011, but guess what? Sadly, I froze up once I joined out of fear that my ignorance would be on public display for everyone to see; geeks love to lord it over newbie’s, or so I thought. It hasn’t been true, it turned out that I cheated myself by not getting involved. So, get busy, ask your questions and offer your advice without worrying-that is the heart and soul of these discussions.

When composing your I need help discussion post, include these basic items: Describe
a. What you are trying to accomplish,
b. Your problem in simple terms,
c. What has been done so far to fix things,
d. Provide a URL and access information if the site is up and running
e. Remember, this isn’t the psychic network and to help you, accurate information is important

When composing your reply to a members’, I need help discussion post, remember this:
a. Do you understand the problem, if not, ask questions,
b. Provide answers in simple terms,
c. Be patient, folks facing problems with their WP install would often rather face a pack of wolves or killer dentists then to ask for help,
d. Visit their site if possible,
e. Offer long term solutions over the quick fix,
f. Provide links to tools when possible,
g. Give encouragement whenever you can

I use a MS Word to compose my discussion posts and when I am satisfied with the content, I cut and paste everything into the discussion form and then decide on a title for my master piece (keep the title simple or folks may shy away from reading it).

Remember, a little patience goes a long way and can save you some embarrassment when the need to have a fit proves to be overwhelming. It may take a day or two for the cavalry to show up, but help will arrive.

MORE Basic Help

EVEN MORE Basic Help

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

Hi @tlcorbin

Good Tips! I would only add that a person should provide access information if it is requested, and to only submit it via email. These are public forums, and anyone can see that information.

Thanks for the post on sticky! that is very informative!

Nice meeting you tlcorbin
    Look forward to seeing more of you!
    Be Blessed!

• tlcorbin
    • Able1

Hello, MTB1701 and hello again Brian, I love your upside down icon.

MTB1701, ah noble Leo, thank you for reminding me about sharing confidential information in a secure manner. I was thinking more along the lines of simple access to a site, nothing at the admin level, but that wouldn't meet every problem solving need to be sure. Thank you for the blessing.

Thank you Brian, if taking the time to provide some basic information will enhance the WPMU Dev experience for other beginners, I am for it. Pointing future beginners to that information has its own challenges, but I had to make the effort.

Understanding the lay of the land is half of a battle winning strategy.

• Sean
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks for this informative post. Many times after I first joined, I have felt "afraid to ask" for fear of the answer seeming too simple, but that is not the case. WPMU is a friendly, funny, and insightful bunch. Sometimes, the answers appear quicker than help anywhere else and other times, I get a bit of comic relief when the answer does not appear. I like the camaraderie and support I get here. Happy I joined!

• tlcorbin
    • Able1

Hello, Sean, I have a one word response to your comment, 'ditto.'

But one word responses are not really my thing, I had this mental picture of a bunch of guru geeks setting on a mountain top somewhere dispensing wisdom to the newbies, and I wasn't convinced that I had even attained newbie status. I am not going to miss that mental picture.

Glad I am here as well.

tlcorbin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.