Best Host for 50+ WP Installs?

I currently have 20 WP installs running on a BlueHost VPS for $60 per moth. I've been with BlueHost for years and have no complaints (call me lucky). Soon, my site count will be up to 50+ WP installs (and will be managed with InfiniteWP). These are all very low traffic niche sites (avg under 100 visits per day, per site).

What I care about most of all is the simple need that the sites stay up. I don't have the speed fetish of most folks (especially for these low-volume sites). Phone and live chat support has been helpful from BlueHost, but that's not a big concern because I will soon be outsourcing all my WP install and server maintenance tasks.

I'd love to get on the WP Engine bandwagon, but it's just too expensive for 50+ installs. Synthesis also appears to be too expensive for 50+ installs. I've also been recommended to use Digital Ocean, who are certainly great on pricing.

With all that said, what host (that I mentioned of any other) would you choose and why?

• Ash

Hello there

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

You should go with a dedicated server as Wordpress is a very resource eating application. having all the processing power and ram of a good dedicated server would make lots of difference.

MediaTemple and 1&1 is good I think. Also, you can take a look on Immotion hosting. Follow the link here: http://www.besthosting365.com/best-dedicated-web-hosting

Hope it helps! Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• James Dunn

I'd have to disagree with @Ashok on 1and1 - I was with them for about five years, but then they became NOTHING BUT HEADACHES for me. Then, when I left them, they continued to rack up charges for my account that I no longer had with them claiming that I hadn't informed them that I was leaving them (which I did in no uncertain terms). But, they waited for about 16 months of the charges not being paid on the card they had on file because I had changed banks at the same time as I made my move. They didn't contact me the first month (or even the second month) that the card was refused. They waited for 16 months until I had racked up several hundred dollars in "unpaid costs" and then as I argued with them that I didn't owe them because I had cancelled my service, they finally turned it over to a collection agency. To date I've never paid the bill and never will. When my construction business failed due to the loan debacle in 2008, I simply discharged the debt in bankruptcy along with all the other debts. 1and1 (and their collection agency) continued to contact me saying that I couldn't discharge the debt as it was a service. It took several letters from my attorney to get them to stop contacting me. I am not the type to sue anyone, but I should have sued them for that garbage. So, basically, I have a strong bias against 1and1.

Media Temple I know nothing about, so I can't comment either way. However, I do use http://wpmu-hosting.org/ and have been with them for several years. I manage about 85 websites right now on a Dynamic VPS. I have never been dissatisfied with the speed, the service, and the capabilities that I have. Plus, it's very competitive to other hosting services that I've looked in to.

BTW, another one that I would recommend against is FastHosts. Not that they are bad, but I could not do everything that I needed to do using their hosting. Certain scripts that I wanted to run were not allowed on their VPS systems and the only way around it was a Dedicated Server - way out of my desired cost range.

Good luck with your quest. A host is like a spouse. A good one is worth their weight in gold. A bad one can be the worst experience of your life.

• Gregg

Brutal story, @James Dunn. Thanks for the input.

You know, I keep thinking I should "upgrade" from BlueHost because of all these new WP installs I have on the horizon. But, for as much as devs & IT's give me the gag face when I say they're my host, they've given me 10 years of few issues I can think of. And I've had none since I moved to their VPS last month. Even that was painless. Plus, I've had nothing but perfect experiences over the years when I've had to call or chat to ask a questions. Hell, I was on a WP Engine site tonight that was flaking out, so I guess bad things can happen with any host.

Maybe I should shake off the need for change, stick with what's been working and knock on wood that my luck continues.

Cheers.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.