Best Hosting configuration for WPMultisite wuth few thousand child sites.

Hello,

What will be the best hosting configuration for wordpress multisite with few thousand child sites ?

Please give me your inputs to config my dedicated server to scale wpmu well.

thanks

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @webmaharaj

Hope your well today and thanks for your question, hosting really does vary. Could you supply me some information about the sites.

Is this a mainly media based site, i.e, lots of images, videos etc?

How much traffic do you expect in total across all sites for the first year?

Where will the website be based and what country is the primary target fir visitors?

Are you familiar with the command line at all or are you looking for a managed solution?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• webmaharaj
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hello,

I'm looking for a managed solution.

Most of the traffic will be from Asia.

Expecting around 1 Million page views per month with 10K child sites approx. ( Most of them will be inactive and don't attract more than couple of users per day)

Most of the sites will be just regular 5 to 10 page websites. There will be no high level media or daily updates.

I want to know the best hosting config to tell my host to arrange / install the best possible solution.

thanks

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @webmaharaj

Hope your well today and thanks for the additional information.

In this case, the best possible host would be WPEngine for a managed WordPress solution, I've used them myself and for safe, secure, quick managed hosting just for WordPress, they are without doubt the best :slight_smile:

You might want to contact them and just check what the costs for that sort of traffic would be, as based on that, you'd need more than there $249 per month plan.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• wp.network
    • The Bug Hunter

I use page.ly for multisite.

I don't know about any maximum limit for child sites.

I chose page.ly over wpengine for several reasons, a big one was that wpengine's pricing scheme gives me the willies. Synthesis is open to migrating pre-exisiting multisites, last I checked with them (you'll be paying ultra-premium though).

All in all, without being able to definitively answer your question, I'd recommend getting in touch with page.ly for sure. (fyi, you're looking at $150/m base for a multisite setup, and perhaps more to account for the size of your instance)

Cheers

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.