Best Hosting Options for Multiple Wordpress Multisite Installs.

I keep getting resource alerts and my VPS regularly is crashing. I'm with Hostgator paying about $70 a month for their VPS Level 3 with 4 IP addresses and cPanel.

I was looking at Namecheap Dedicated Servers and they have a Xeon E3-1220 v3 4 Cores x 3.1 GHz 8 GB DDR3 with a 300 GB SSD and 10 TB of monthly bandwidth for $68.88/mo. There is not a lot of information on what else if anything comes with the server. So I assume $20 a month more for cPanel plus maybe extra for additional IP Addresses, and it is probably not managed for that price. A dedicated server from Namecheap with a SSD for around the same price as my current VPS with Hostgator still seems like it might be a good choice.

Hostgator is now offering Optimized WordPress Hosting with CDN which looked interesting but I am not sure that it can do MultiSite and I read that there is no FTP or cPanel File Manager. So seems that would be very limiting.

I am open to considering anything from shared to dedicated within the same general price range as long as it works well. Fast, secure and no more resource problems.

So is anyone having particularly good luck with Cloud Hosting, Optimized WP hosting, or a Dedicated Server...?

• Ash

Hello @Sean

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

I never used Hostgator VPS, but I have good experience with digital ocean, ramnode and vps dime. Special, the customer support of digital ocean is really good.

But note that, as you are getting resource alert, it might not depends on the server but the configuration of mysql databases and the plugins you are using.

How many subsites and plugins do you have in your network? If your network is *very* large, then you may consider CDN caching.

WPEngine could be another choice if you want managed wordpress hosting. They won't give you any cpanel but you will get ftp and access to phpmyadmin. They also provide a sandbox site where you can do testing and deploy to live site.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

• Sean

Lately it has mainly been the CPU allotment that has been having trouble resource wise. I heard that WPEngine works with Multisite but not with WPMU Domain Mapping, unless that has been resolved.

I have a dozen or so Multisite Networks I have not counted the overall websites within them lately maybe 50 to 100. I get some get decent traffic and some have been attacked before causing resources to be consumed during an attack.

I have though about separating some of the domains to keep all of them suffering if one is attacked. Managed Optimized WordPress solutions are attractive in terms of security and speed but so far all of them seem to have other limitations, like no cPanel or FTP or can't run multisite or limitations on the number of sites...

I will look into separate CDN Caching. I have looked at it before but forget what help me back. Back then it was probably complicated with my setup.

• amused

i am currently trying hostgators new wordpress plans as i got a 1 month free trial.
    TOTAL RUBBISH !!!
    problems like crazy do not waste your time.
    wpengine is a dream come true.
    you cannot ask for a more pleasant hassle free experience and they have one click "multisite" install as well (that starts with their $99 plan).
    CDN, caching, security everything managed and built in so thats why you pay a premium and in terms of resources i believe its pretty good with memory but i am not sure about CPU.
    no cpanel or crap like that to worry about but if that kinda headache tickles your fancy,
    check out https://www.siteground.com/cloud-hosting.htm
    of course there is also Pagely and Kinsta and dozens of other choices.

• amused

Hey @Sean
    thought i should mention http://www.cloudways.com/en/ as well
    i tried their free plan previously but decided to give them another try.
    did not test properly before because it was only a couple days free but now they apparently have a 14 day free trial.
    in a word SPEEEEEEED !!! :slight_smile:
    they boasts 1 click wordpress installs (including multisite as well), 1 click staging, 1 click back up, 1 click restore etc.
    All of which they do indeed provide.
    However its not as simple and conveniently laid out as wpengine.
    example - multisite only installs the first process for you (adding the initial code to wp-config)
    but this is a good thing as you get to choose after sub-domains or sub-directories and as far as i remember wpengine only provides sub-domains.
    CloudWays does NOT offer cpanel but their own custom panel which has more features than wpengine.
    there are free and paid add ons for load testing, DNS management, SendGrid, NewRelic etc.

vist their page and the offer only appears in a pop up after a while and you have to enter the code when signing up.
    i suggest u contact their live support to make sure u get the deal because the normal trials are only a couple days.
    what you are essentially doing/getting at CloudWays is managed cloud hosting.
    u get to choose DigitalOcean, AWS, or Google Cloud.
    DigitalOcean is the best bang for your buck by far in the lower plans.
    i am using the free plan with a multisite pushing many plugins to test and it feels faster than MAMP Pro (local) if you can believe that.

just thought i would suggest this as well.
    take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.