Best method for requesting help!

I was wondering if the staff would take a minute to explain to us the best information to place in a thread when a member initially seeks their help. I was thinking that after it got kicked around a little bit, we could create a new thread with all the details that would make providing support easier on them, and avoid 2-3 post just to get the proper information to help us. Then Mason AKA: Dude could put the edited version sticky until it becomes habit for members to teach newbies the ropes. I believe a "community custom" would work better than an official “name/process” that would get ignored like a TOS. If you think this is a good idea kick it around; if not, then ignore this until it slips down into the abyss. Like I hope some of my earlier post do! :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

Thats a great idea although practice dictates that no matter what you put out there most people won't read it first. An example of this is a manual, whilst there are people which crave them to read through many more just post first.

I think though if it helps just a few then its worth its weight in gold. :slight_smile:

So here are the initial things to check when there is an issue.

Which versions are being used, we always support the latest WP and Plugin version.

Does the issue happen in WordPress with the default theme (except when testing the theme) and no plugins (except the one with an issue if it happens).

If it doesn't then its most likely a conflict, so then reactivate each one, one at a time and keep testing until the issue happens again. When it does you have the culprit.

Once staff have enough information they will test it to replicate and if the issue can be reproduced a developer will be notified.

If it is something on a specific front end page then a link is also good.

Take care

• Mark Wallace

Yes I have learned people don’t read before they ask these days. I recall a test I was given at the age of 10. We were told to read every question on the test before we began to answer. It was 5 page test. It took me and others several hours to complete. Only to find out the last question said. “Do not answer any of the questions above; Sit quietly and you will be rewarded.” I was not one that received a reward that day. lol Thanks for your reply. I've copyied it to a folder for future referance. Have a good weekend!

• Dean Kaus

hey @MTB1701 you may be showing your age unless that test is making the rounds again. I always got in trouble for reading backwards. I used to go to the last page of most tests and started with the harder questions. that was the very first test I aced. LOL

@Timothy with the new design in the ask a question area I think that that will help most to be more specific. Maybe change the wording from Go For it to please include theme or plugin name when describing your problem. However like it's been said not everyone will read the instructions at all.

Starting to like the new look better but still would like to see the date and time the original post was made, (i did bring this up to @james) and hopefully the formatting will soon work on mobile devices.

Anyway have a great weekend everyone!

• Timothy Bowers

Your welcome.

hey @MTB1701 you may be showing your age unless that test is making the rounds again. I always got in trouble for reading backwards. I used to go to the last page of most tests and started with the harder questions. that was the very first test I aced. LOL

Sometimes when answering emails and threads I do it backwards from bottom to top, not all the time but when I do I don't really think about it. lol

@Timothy with the new design in the ask a question area I think that that will help most to be more specific. Maybe change the wording from Go For it to please include theme or plugin name when describing your problem. However like it's been said not everyone will read the instructions at all.

You may have noticed whilst posting a new thread it now asks which site and plugin, it then shows to staff which version was used most of the time so it makes debugging easier when we see its an out of date plugin.

Starting to like the new look better but still would like to see the date and time the original post was made, (i did bring this up to @james) and hopefully the formatting will soon work on mobile devices.

Just noticed it is not on the original but is on the rest. :disappointed: Let me see if there is a reason why and if we can get that fixed up. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Mark Wallace

After that test I started reading magazines backwards. I think my generation was the last to get that test; then all the parents cried “It’s Cruel and unusual punishment”. <<< That’s what started turning American youth into sissies. It’s about the same time they to the pledge of allegiance out of the classroom too. Just hope I die before these Cry Baby’s take office. Can’t even punch anyone without getting sued these days. <<< That’s just not the American Way! Have to go to Canada just to get a good fight. I saved your first comment to a text.doc. Been saving things from different threads as well. I'm really into these Gravity Form now. Have you ever used them???

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.