Best migration process

Hi Guys, I have a site on a dev server. I would like to move it to production on another host.

What is the best process to do a complete migration using Snapshot? Do I need to create a blank installation of wordpress on the new server and upload snapshot as well?

Do you recommend backing up to the WPMU provided backup space?

I just want the best cleanest process that will guarantee success.

• Huberson

Hello HypeIT
    The first process you mentioned works fine since your are migrating to a new server. You can create a new snapshot on the dev site once you done developing, install Snapshot on the live install then use the import tool to import the snapshot and restore it.
    You can find a detailed article here on that process - Move a WordPress Site Without Hassle with Snapshot

Using the managed backup option is preferred if you don't want to go to the process of setting up a new install on the live server and activate plugins to import and restore snapshot. Again, once done developing simply go to Snapshot > Managed Backups option and make a new backup to the Hub.

You can then go to the Hub and download the backup archive and a snapshot-installer.php file, copy those to your server root directory for the new site, access the snapshot-installer.php file under your domain(example.com/snapshot-installer.php) and follow the instructions.

A good approach when migrating site to new domain from your local dev environment is to use the same domain name you intend to use live on your local site while developing. You can achieve that by editing your host file and map your localhost to the domain that will be used. Example:
    127.0.0.1 mylivedomain.com

If you need assistance with anything or have further questions feel free to reach us anytime.

Regards,
    Huberson