Best Multi-db setup with 4096dbs, Amazon S3 and / or extra hard drive

My database is finally sorted out and we are ready to rescale to 4096dbs with multi-db.

I want to know what the best or recommended setup would be on my server.

I would like to offset uploads or db's on a separate hard drive or possibly work with a CDN like
Amazon S3.

Not sure if that is advised.. What would be the best way to set this up?

Thanks again!

• jozwikjp
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hello,
    I am also trying to plan our scaling of our site.
    Do you have all your databases on one machine?
    Or do you split them across a couple database servers?

Amazon S3 it tempting for the user upload storage however it seems like their bandwidth can quickly scale well beyond what we are charging for hosting. It just takes one viral video to get highly expensive.

I was looking for a storage solution for that data that could be decentralized over inexpensive machines. Much like a cassandra topology. So I could just quickly through more hardware at the solution to grow it our for performance. Haven't found anything yet though :slight_smile:

• georgef

Hi @jozwikjp

Do you have all your databases on one machine?

Yes, I had 16db's setup, but have them converted back to one and InnoDB

Amazon S3 it tempting for the user upload storage however it seems like their bandwidth can quickly scale well beyond what we are charging for hosting.

Yes, looks cheap at first, well is for video at least, but have read of people getting hit with big bills.

I've seen @drmike talk about just an additional HDD, which seems the way to go.

Another question here..

The guy that fixed my db mentioned this about scaling to MultiDB:

With InnoDB tables there is only one situation when MultiDB will add some profit to performance - list all tables. All other queries will run equally well with one or many databases.

Are there any known problems running MultiDB with InnoDB?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I've seen @drmike talk about just an additional HDD, which seems the way to go.

Rep Points for listening to me. :smiley:

I know we had a thread this morning that I couldn;t get to where I was looking at the poster's site and it was going back and forth and back and forth between the site and their cdn. Looked like some fancy redirect was going on. About 30 seconds of nothing but blank screen and that back and forth, I just closed out the browser pane and went onto the next thread. Not sure what they were doing but it wasn;t working.

With a hard drive, you can usually get that for a one time cost. Your bandwidth is already included with your box so in theory there's no extra fees involved afterwards.

edit: Granted though I would like to fiddle with setting up a cdn someday. Our large setup just has the uploads on a second box. (or is it the database? Can never remember.) That may be something to consider as well.

• jozwikjp

For your database I would recommend a raid 10 for performance, Honestly I would be worried about disk IO operations with that many open files in your database. I am interested to hear how others are scaling 4096 whether they are splitting them up on to a couple different database servers.

• georgef

@jozwikjp

Honestly I would be worried about disk IO operations with that many open files in your database.

Can you please clarify?

My host has offered to setup an additional server for me which is a little extra, but might be worth it by the looks of things.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

What's easier for you to do? Keep 256 pages open in a book or 4096? :slight_smile:

Each timne you open up a file, the processor has to assign resources to it to keep track of what's going on. You use less resources with 256 databases than you do with 4096.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.