Best Options for Extended Profiles

I would like to offer extended profiles for my Buddypress members. I considered using Gravity forms for this.
In the future I will need to have multiple forms with similar requirements. For instance: only showing content to members selecting certain interests on the profile form, etc.
It seems plug-ins are lacking. Buddypress has a nice default option but my not be robust enough.
What are my options?

• aecnu

Greetings Geoutah,

Thank you for the great question.

It can be pretty challenging to support other peoples work, but we do our best here to help you.

The only options I am aware of at this point are custom coding in the Buddy Press plugin itself to make this happen as you described and indeed subjective.

Have you found anything in the Buddy Press forums regarding this subject?

Any coding snippets you have found or created to add functionality to this perhaps?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Geoutah

I was surprised there wasn't a ready answer for this one. It's actually quite easy.

It looks like the Extended Profile options in Buddypress may have changed in version 3.0. The Buddypress for Dummies book had it wrong.

Basically: Make sure you have "Extended Profiles" checked when you install Buddypress.

Once Buddpress is installed to add additional fields to the profile:

From there you can add several different field types, title, description, visibility and whether it's required or not.

Voila!

• aecnu

Greetings Geoutah,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.