Best plugin to edit database?

I’m wondering if anyone here has a favorite database management plugin? I’m merging a bunch of single-site installs into a few Multisite installs. I just want a simple way to search the database for “domain.com/wp-content/uploads/” and replace it with “domain.com/files/” so as to quickly and easily fix the most commonly broken thing when I do the move. I could do this through phpMyAdmin, but I’d prefer a nice, simple WP interface if possible. Let me know if you have any preferences/suggestions. Thanks.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Tevya, how are you today?

In all honesty my preferred way of searching and making mass changes is by doing a DB dump and then using a find and replace tool. On the Mac I use BBEdit.

You might also want to look at http://www.navicat.com/

I have no experience with such plugins though and couldn’t recommend any to be honest. Sorry.

I wonder if other members have any preferences here?

Take care.

• Tevya
    • Recruit

I don’t think I need anything so advanced as Navicat. I’d just hoped there was a good plugin that somebody could suggest. But maybe I’ll have to go the dump route.

Is there a specific table to something that contains the data for each sub-site? I’d like to just dump the site I’m working on, so I have a lot less data to deal with? If so, is the best way to just clear that table then merge the edited one?

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Well it really depends on if its a vanilla install (no plugins/themes). Not all plugins and themes follow the same standards.

When I do it, I export it (all of it), do the changes and then simply run it to insert and overwrite data in the DB. Its not as efficient as targeting specific tables but it ensures nothing is missed.

I do it over SSH for larger DBs so doesn’t take much time.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.