Best plugins for a market place based on MU

I’m trying to build a hosting service on WPMU w/ eCommerce functionality [ via MarketPress ]. I’m curious what some more seasoned users suggest for getting this started && growing it in the future.

There are so many plugin options && it’s a bit overwhelming. I’m looking for a Minimal Viable Product type of set up that will allow users to sell && to create affiliates [MarketPress + affiliates plugins should cover that, any good links would be appreciated tho].

If anyone has a list of plugins that play well together in a multisite eCommerce environment I could definitely use some guidance (:

• Gabe
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey flash. I understand what you mean by it being overwhelming. I recommend just installing and getting started with MarketPress by itself. That will meet your minimum viable product needs. Get a few users on there, see what’s missing, then build from there. Once it’s setup you can add in affiliates if you want. I’d just stay away from trying to do too much too soon, which defeats the whole MVP concept.

Besides, starting with just MarketPress will give you some time to understand it in isolation and wrap your brain around it.

• flash_x
    • New Recruit

@gabe. Thanks for your quick response. I’v been using MarketPress for the last couple of years, so I think that’s under control.

@timothy. Affiliates is what I was referring to. I guess I was more looking for someone who already had this type of setup && could give me one of those “I sure wish I had been using this plugin/technique/whatever when I first got start’d” gems of wisdom.

• hpidriver
    • The Crimson Coder

Another tidbit…

Sign up and get approved for your Paypal Adaptive Payments App ID over at X.com before you need it.

You may decide to use Chained Payments in the future and you’re not going to want to wait 2-4 weeks for their approval just to get started.

Gabe’s advice about learning Marketpress in isolation is very sound. Learn all the functionality of the plugin. Make sub-stores, change the layouts, customize the widgets and global shortcodes to your liking.

New Blog Templates and Multi User Management are vital plugins as well for making your commerce platform more user-friendly.

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

Hiya, just going through some of the older threads here.

As it’s been a little while since we last heard from you I thought I’d check in to see how you’re going?

If you’re still looking for some further assistance with this thread then please feel free to reopen the thread or of course for any new and related issues you are most welcome to open a new thread.

Cheers!

Tom

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.