Best Practices for Classifieds template changes and style questions

I have two questions.
1. How would you recommend someone develop a template for your classifieds. The shortcode for the list page is too limiting. I want to develop a more robust list page, but don't want to update the plugin some day and overwrite changes.
2. Where would you send someone to start looking at attributes such as adding the total # of posts for a specific category. I'm trying to figure out where the different attributes are in the code if I'm going to start a template. See attached image for what I'm trying to achieve.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

The plugin is a custom post type and custom taxonomies, so all the code used for looping through the content can be done as you wish.

Before upgrading the plugin it would be wise to test the new versions on a sandbox install to make sure it still functions well.

Keep in mind this is a WordPress plugin so we use WordPress functions as well were possible, so can you.

If you also read through some of the code you will see in code comments which should help.

Any questions then just pop open a new thread and we'll be able to assist.

Take care.

• ccraine
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I know what you are mentioning.. but where would you start. And if I wanted to create a "Home" for my classifieds list page which file from classifieds and where is that starting point? Such as files in ui-front?

Which files would you start looking at for code comments?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ccraine,

Knock, Knock - Housekeeping --> Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.